Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Why I still support Target

Before the holidays really kicked off, and while I was on my extreme determination to use coupons, I set off one day to accomplish quite a bit.  First on my list was ordering bras for the girls online at Victoria Secrets. Let me say that I don't use the company for myself as they don't offer bras in my size, but I took the girls there to be fitted for a bra after spending money on various bras from various other companies.  An elder lady with vast experience measured and fitted both girls with one bra a piece that I purchased to try out. They loved them.  Even Madison, my picky shopper.  So after the one month trial period I sat down at the computer with my new Angel credit card and coupons that came with said card to order new bras for Madison (Darcy having already purchased her on a previous excursion to the mall).  She had picked out the bras she wanted earlier so I added them to the cart and went to check out.  After going through various screens and entering my multiple coupons, my total came out to be way more then it should have because they charged me $30 shipping and handling.  For two bras?  Seriously?  Not in this lifetime Victoria!  I closed that screen, picked up my coupons and decided I would go myself to the store in the mall to get the bras.

But first I would stop off and get the oil changed in my new van, something I despise having to do with my vehicles because I always get scammed into purchasing something or into spending more money then I need to.  Because I haven't a clue about auto mechanics.  But I decided to take the van to Jiffy Lube which is where my friend always took the van when she owned it.  She said it was pricier, but that it was close to her house and they did the job right.

I pulled in and around to the garage at the Jiffy Lube and immediately, before I could enter over the black hole that scares the crap out of me, a woman mechanic appeared at my window.  That right there threw me off as I have never, ever, met a woman auto mechanic.  It thrilled me to death, however, but left me tongue tied.  She opened my door, told me customers did not drive over the hole, and then accompanied me into the office where she told me to have a cup of coffee that someone would be right with me.  Awesome.  I liked this place.  I took a seat.

Then I got back up again because a man entered through another door, stood behind a computer screen, and asked how he could help me.  I said I wanted an oil change.  I looked out the door and saw that my van was over the black hole.  What else do they do here at Jiffy Lube that he has to ask me how he can help? Odd.  He asked me my name and address and phone number.  He asked if I had ever been there before.  I told him no, but that my friend had serviced this very van here for the last three years.  He didn't give a damn. He said he was going by my license plate and it showed I was a new customer.  So much for new customer relations.  Then he took a stance, sort of shifting on to one leg, turning the computer screen toward me, bracing for the big sell.

Did I know that my particular van's company recommended that I use grade XXL 59 PYQ double HH 58 blah, blah, blah oil to maintain proper maintenance on this vehicle?  I admitted I was unaware.  He told me, lucky for me, that Jiffy Lube knew it and offered this special oil for a cost of only $89.99.  I said I wanted just an oil change.  A regular old fashioned no special oil change.  He stared me down.  Did I know that if I didn't want that particular oil that Jiffy Lube offered a second choice of XXII 49 XYZ double KK 48 blah, blah, blah oil that they recommended if I didn't want the special deluxe super-really-should-put-in-my-vehicle oil?  For only $69.99?  I admitted I was unaware.  I said I wanted just an oil change.  How much for an oil change that wasn't super-de-duper? That came with regular non super powered oil, a tire inflation, and a window wash?  He replied snarkly that that would be $39.99 plus tax.  I exclaimed that seemed awfully high for an oil change.  He stared at me and told me he didn't give a damn that that was the cost, take it or leave it.  I took it since they already had my car over the hole.  He stomped out of the office, went outside to the woman auto mechanic, told her I was a bitch and wanted the cheap version, and then returned to ring me up. At least that is the way I viewed it.  He was really annoyed with me.  Annoyed I wasn't following Honda's and Jiffy Lube's advice and forking over $90 for oil.  I handed him my credit card, signed the slip, and my car was ready.  Huh?  I'm not sure they even changed the oil it was so quick.  I was in and out in less then 10 minutes.  I can honestly say that Jiffy Lube will never have my business again.  Ever.

I left the business irritated.  I was two for two in businesses thus far and none too happy.  I went to the mall. I had coupons for Victoria Secrets, JC Penney and Sears.  I made the bra purchases, using the coupons, and felt better. I saved $30 by coming to the mall.  Yippee!  I went into JC Penney.  I had a coupon for $10 off of $25.  Madison needed jeans for school and she likes Joe Fresh jeans which are softer then my denim jeans.  It took me forever to locate the darn jeans as Penney in their re-branding effort have messed up what use to be one of my favorite stores.  When I found the jeans they were marked down, but only had one pair in the size that she needed.  No matter.  I took the jeans, added some shirts that would work for Darcy and would end up free with my coupon, went to the check out and handed the lady my coupon. She handed it back to me.  "This won't work."  She rang up my purchase and gave me the total.  I handed the coupon back.  "You can't use it," she told me.  "It doesn't work.  Do you want this or not?"  There was a line behind me and I needed the jeans no matter what so I paid.  Then I stood off to the side and searched the coupon. The date was still valid.  My purchase had added up to the right amount.  What the hell?  I turned the coupon over, dug out my glasses for the fine print, and read that the following items were not included in the coupon.  The list was endless.  I think the list of what brands were part of the coupon would have been smaller.  Joe Fresh was not one of the brands allowed.  Seriously? And did I deserve the rudeness of that sales clerk?  She couldn't explain to me the issue? I would not have added the shirts to my order had I known the coupon wouldn't work.  Now I was really steamed.  Three for three.

I wandered through the mall, making my way to Sears.  I found some other purchases that made me happy as I strolled along and thus I entered Sears in a decent mood that was not even affected by the construction that the store was undergoing.  I found the shoes for Madison, one pair as needed immediately, another pair, a fun pair, for Christmas.  I went to the checkout and handed over my coupon.  The lady rang it up.  The coupon didn't work.  She tried again.  It didn't work.  She called a manager.  He attempted it.  It didn't work.  They were not rude, and both employees tried desperately to make the coupon work, but alas it didn't.  I took the coupon and read the fine print.  Not valid on shoes.  Seriously?  I paid and left the mall. Four for four.

On the way home I stopped at Target.  Good old Target, before they were hacked into and given a public relations nightmare.  I took my list and spent an hour filling up my cart with necessities and a few gift items. When I got to the check out I realized that I had several little goodies in my coupon caddy.  One was a $5 gift card received for some previous purchase.  One was a coupon for $5 off $50.  Several were various cents off of purchases, and then I found I also had a coupon of $10 off of a purchase of $100.  My total was way over that limit so I gave her the various coupons first.  Off those came.  I gave her the five dollar gift card. Off it came.  I gave her the coupon for the $5 off of $50.  Off it came.  That left my total at $109.  I proudly handed her my last coupon.  She handed it back.  "I can't use that too," she said.  "It won't work."

By this point I was just resigned to the fact that my day sucked.  I paid the money and left the store, thinking I would certainly use that coupon before it expired anyhow it being the holiday season.  As I got to my car I got pissed.  What the hell?  Why couldn't I use that card?  I got into the van and studied the coupon. Nothing on it said I couldn't use it in conjunction with other coupons.  I looked at my receipt.  I clearly had the correct total.  That was it.  I lost it.  I ranted and raved inside my car where no could hear.  I discussed it over the phone with a friend.  I sat and studied it some more.  What the hell?  I got out and marched back into the store.  Enough was enough.  What was wrong with these businesses?  I went up to Target's customer service desk and waited my turn.  When the lady beckoned me to the counter I pulled out my receipt.

Me:   "I just made these purchases.  I gave the check out girl this coupon off of $100 and she told me I couldn't use it.  I want to know why."
Target lady (taking the receipt)  "It wouldn't work?"
Me:  "She didn't even try.  She just told me I couldn't use it and that it wouldn't work.  I used another coupon which worked, but nothing on this coupon says I can't use it with another coupon."
Target lady:  "Well, let's see."

She punched in my receipt.  She put her hand out for my coupon.  I gave it to her.  She punched it in.  She pulled out a ten dollar bill and handed it to me.  She smiled.

Target lady:  "Here you go.  No problem.  Sorry about that.  Have a nice day."

The whole transaction took less than one minute.  I stared at her.  I stared at the ten dollar bill.  Hard cold cash.  IN MY HAND.  No questions asked.  No hassle.  No problem.  I smiled back at her.  And then, and I am not kidding, I danced.  I danced all the way to the door and outside and to my car. Finally!  Finally a store that did what it said it would.  Finally an employee that understood customer satisfaction!  Finally the outcome to what I should have had all day!  Finally happiness in an otherwise shitty consumer day!  Target! None of this, well-listen-here-customer-who-thinks-this-coupon-will-work-but-it-doesn't-get-out-of-our-store nonsense.  Just good customer service.  Sorry this happened to you.  Here is your savings.  IN CASH!

So.  While I read about Target and its mistakes and problems and security breaches I will still stand solidly behind them because of this experience.  Which, when I look back, has always been my experience at Target. Good solid customer satisfaction.  In an industry that is sorely lacking in it.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I have had the very same experiences at all these retailers! The squeaky wheel gets the grease. That is what they say. It just took you a while to get squeaky enough...lol