Sunday, March 20, 2016

Lasagna soup recipe

I've said this more than once on this site, but for those who may be here because of a search I will say it again. I'm not much of a cook. I'm WAY better than I once was, but if a recipe has ingredients I've never heard of I don't attempt it. I like simplicity. I like recipes that don't hold me hostage in a kitchen all day and that don't make me work up much of a sweat. (That isn't so easy anymore what with the whole menopausal thing going one. Hot flashes!) I'm great when my family tells me what they want to eat, but I can't eat tacos every night like my kids can and so I search desperately for new ideas.

The last month I searched the Internet for at least two or three new ideas to cook for the week. I cook about four meals during the week. Friday we have our set in stone TV Viewing Night and we eat pizza. Saturday we eat out or carry out. Sunday my husband cooks. That leaves me cooking Monday through Thursday with an occasional Friday night. Last Friday was one of those nights. I had found a recipe for Lasagna soup, and since it didn't get made during the week I thought it would be great for TV Viewing Night. 

Kelly: "That doesn't sound good to me."
Tom: "Yuck!"
Darcy: "Why can't we just have spaghetti?"

I made it anyway, because the picture that accompanied the recipe looked SO delicious. I found the recipe via Parade Magazine's community site with the heading, 27 Easy One-Pot Dinners for Busy Nights. That link is here if interested. This site had photos and headings that then linked you to the page with the recipe. I made three of the dishes in the past two weeks and all three were tasty (The only downside to two of the one-pot dishes I made was that I had to keep transferring ingredients once cooked to various bowls while I cooked other ingredients. Not so one-pot in my opinion.), but the lasagna soup was a true keeper despite the above three people's reactions. 

The recipe is super easy, has minimal ingredients, and tastes JUST LIKE LASAGNA without the hassle of standing on your feet and assembling it. Plus it is done in half the time it takes to make a pan of lasagna. I thought I would share it since I made believers out of my three doubters by making and serving the dish against their wishes. Kelly liked it so much she made it this week for herself, adding spinach which we agreed would be an easy and delicious addition.


The recipe can be found here. I HIGHLY recommend it for Italian lovers. It is just as delicious leftover, and it is just as delicious without adding the cheeses on top if you want to cut calories. I ate it without the stuff on top the second day because I forgot, and it was still tasty. Add garlic bread and even a caesar salad and you have a very nice meal. 

Kelly: "Tom was so wrong about this dish. It is quite delicious."

1 comment:

Susan said...

Looks delish!!!! Must try!