Monday, March 28, 2016

Spring Break 2016 in pictures

Use to be I spent my spring break with my kids. This year one kid slept away her spring break and the other went off on adventures with her friends. That probably would have depressed me, but instead I made my own adventures with the help of friends.



My high school friend Robin and her friend Karen came down to spend spring break in Florida. I tagged along to several of their adventures which mostly included eating. It was like being with my SIL. It must be a Hoosier thing.




The first two days they were here we had a bit of a cold front come through. We went to the beach anyway. We lasted about five minutes as the wind was crazy ridiculous. It was the first time I heard northerners say they were cold in 60 degree temperatures.


Tom's childhood cousin and her husband came over for the day from Disney to visit. We spent some time with them at my MIL's house and we had a wonderful dinner later that night. It is fun to hear stories about my husband from his past. Darcy liked to hang with us when food was involved, and she was very good at putting her phone away and joining in the conversations.


By the third day our temperatures were back in the 80's and we went to the beach. We went fairly early and had our pick of parking spots. Within a half an hour the lot was full and the beach packed so full that there were five rows of people from the water back. We were in row two and had a decent view of the water, although I was unable to photograph it without strangers in it.

Robin and Karen commented on my use of a spray sunscreen which I used several times throughout the day, insisting that stuff wasn't any good. I gave them the Hello-I-live-in-Florida-and-just-retired-from-an-outdoor-career look as they lathered on their Hawaiian tropic suntanning lotion. I was the only one who got burned.


Thursday I joined my friend SueG and her children on a boat ride out into the gulf. It was quite the touristy thing to do and after several cocktails aboard the boat afterwards we decided we should do stuff like that more often. The boat was a two hour trip to find dolphin and we were not disappointed.









We also saw a shark, cooled off with a three minute spit shower, and captured two different rainbows. I talked to several families from Indiana and ran around from one side of the boat to the other snapping pictures and trying to maintain my balance.






Friday was my friend's last day before heading north. We met for breakfast and afterwards they sat on the beach to soak it up before bidding it good-bye. We had drinks and dinner outdoors and then watched the sunset from the causeway.

 


Saturday Darcy and her friend, baked and decorated Easter cookies. Easter bunny butts, I should say.


But, no pun intended, making bunny butts proved too difficult and they ended up with more eggs than bunny bottoms. All of them were delicious.



Easter morning was not anything we had experienced in the past. Darcy slept late. It was odd not to have Madison here and odd not to have Darcy up early and excited. If it weren't for our dog hunting his eggs Tom and I might have gone into a little depression.



After church Darcy came home and played along. The entire time she moaned the loss of her sister and the loss of the "D" that usually is on the eggs she is hunting. She found them all this year and even that wasn't right as we always have one egg that we find months later. 



My contribution to Easter dinner was dessert. I made an Easter rainbow cake that turned out well and that everyone enjoyed. My SIL Julie had us to her house and we had a lovely dinner with family and a roaring game of cards afterwards.

It was a fabulous spring break and driving home Easter night was a bit of a downer as we thought of how early we all had to rise and how we all had to get back to the grind of school and responsibilities. Until next year....Happy Spring!

No comments: