Monday, March 14, 2016

Out of the mouths of my babes

Today there is no school locally. It is the end of the grading period so I believe it is a day for teachers to get their shit together to wrap up tests and projects and enter grades. (I LOVE teachers. Many of my friends and family members are teachers. They are overworked and underpaid, but then again so was I back in the day. Actually, so am I right now! But sometimes I get annoyed when the grades aren't posted weeks after test taking....at the elementary school level!) We slept in today because we stayed up late last night. Madison is home for spring break from college and that is her normal schedule, and since we didn't have anything to get up for we stayed up with her talking. Darcy and I awoke at a decent time, but Madison was still asleep at noon.

I went about my normal routine, eating breakfast, reading the paper, dong some laundry, working the crossword. From the crossword, which I do while drinking my coffee, I worked the Word Jumble, the Sudoku, and the Cryptogram, and when Maddy still wasn't up after all of that I read the Horoscope. I don't usually read that. I use to, but it caused me too much anxiety so I quit, but today I read it. My horoscope said, "Children might be an increased responsibility today. This well may be the case. Frankly, it goes with the territory, doesn't it? Social plans are difficult." Nothing to cause me anxiety. It was true. Both kids were home and needing me for various reasons. As for social plans, I figured that was more for Scorpios with young children.

From there I read Madison's just for fun. It said, "Discussions with a parent or authority figure in the family could be a bummer today. Therefore, avoid these discussions." Hmmm.. I read Darcy's. It said, "This is a poor day for important discussions with authority figures. Things will not go as you hope. Therefore, postpone these discussions for another day. Wednesday is good." I immediately went into the bedrooms to tell this to the girls, both of whom where lying in their beds.

Madison: "It sounds to me like the writer ran out of ideas."
Me: "What? These aren't made up. They are written by the stars."
Madison: "Uh huh."

I wandered off again to change the laundry and run the dishwasher. Eventually I returned to the bedrooms to tell Darcy that we had been invited north for spring break. She immediately came into Madison's room with her computer to look for plane tickets. That then led to talking about our summer vacation which led to searching for places to stay in the destination.

Me: "What are your plans this summer, Madison?"
Madison: "I don't know."
Me: "Are you going to get a job?"
Madison: (mumble, mumble)
Me: "What?"
Madison: "Nothing."
Me: "What? You said something. What did you say?"
Madison: "I don't think we should be talking about his right now. Remember what the horoscope said? How I should be avoiding these discussions? What are we doing today?"

No comments: