Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Birthday Shout Out #13

Here I am once again hit in the face with a birthday during a time of craziness in my own head life. My nephew Austin graduated from college this past Saturday. WHAT? I know. I feel like he was just born and now he is out of college and out in the hard, cruel world. I didn't get to attend his graduation because my daughter was finishing her first year of college. Due to the ridiculous planning of getting daughter, it was impossible to add in a flight to Indiana to watch my nephew snatch that coveted piece of paper that pretty much doesn't guarantee a job or happiness. I did, however, get a graduation card out to him prior to the big day inside a box of birthday gifts for his sister whose big day was the beginning of April. (Hey, she got a shout out video and a gift from my husband on her big day)

As I packed the box, the thought that I should also throw in his birthday card and gift did occur. It was there, along with the thought of not having a gift card for him which would mean another delay in the package getting mailed, and then the thought was gone and the box taped up and mailed. His looming birthday went right out of my head and in its place went my life, which consisted of IB senior exam proctoring and scheduling and bringing home my daughter. Now suddenly, today, I am hit with the knowledge that my nephew's birthday is here.

Whoa. Happy Birthday Austin. I wasn't prepared. He doesn't read my blog unless forced to by his mother so giving him a shout out probably wouldn't have occurred to me had I not had all of the other things going on right now. But as I thought about the fact that I have been remiss in blogging these last couple of weeks, I realized I should probably send a birthday shout out just to give me something to blog. Then came the realization that this kid was born prior to digital cameras and that would mean lots of hard work scanning photos. I took a nap instead.

Now here it is the eve of the birthday, and I'm sitting at my computer feeling guilty. I mean, he is my nephew. Technically, the first one I remember coming into this world, and so I'm slogging through photos and thinking of nice things to say in hopes that his mother will make him read this and he will forget that he hasn't yet received a card from his sweet, loving Aunt Cara.

Birthday Shout Out - Austin Hogan


Austin arrived to much fanfare in the family because he was the first male to carry on the precious name, a big thing to the males on that side of the family. He didn't much care about all of that because for a baby that came out of tiny mother this kid was HUGE and hungry. That's what I remember most about him in the beginning. He ate all of the time.


He also changed my family as babies often do. Before Austin my parents were uncertain of the parents' young love and marriage. After Austin that suddenly didn't seem so important. My parents doted on this kid, worshiped this kid, and loved him like they had never loved another baby before him. He changed the dynamic of everyone's way of life. Suddenly my brother was a father, my parents were grandparents, and everyone else in the family started talking baby talk and crawling around on the floor. I hadn't really seen all of these people interact with a baby before, and at times it was certainly a sight to see.



I remember the first time he visited us in Florida. He followed Tom around the outside of our house watering plants and repairing and painting whatever Tom was doing. Later I taught him how to eat watermelon and spit out the black seeds. He took a huge chunk out of the watermelon chewed it up for awhile and then leaned over and spit the whole thing out, quite proud of himself.


He was a happy kid, always smiling, always busy. He loved to play. He loved to use his imagination. He was cautious, gentle, sweet and kind, and so loving with most everyone he meet. When Madison came along he took her under his wing and taught her everything there was to show a new addition to the group.



As more and more women entered his life he didn't bat an eye. He has always wrapped his arms around Madison, Gabby, and Darcy. He has played hours of crazy games with them. He has dressed up in costumes and put on plays with them. He has loved them and guided them and has always had their backs.


I couldn't be more proud of the man he is today. He has his father's sense of humor, and can have an entire room in the palm of his hand. Like his father, his head swells, but for the most part he is centered and confident and very comfortable with who is he.


Happy Birthday Austin. You've brought so much love into our family on your arrival, and you haven't stopped. I wish you tons of great things as you go forth into the world. We love you mightily.

Oh, and remember that Aunt Cara started off your acting career way back in the day....


1 comment:

Susan said...

I love the video! hahaha! Great birthday blog! I shared it with him too:)