Saturday, May 14, 2016

The end (to bring home the kid)

When I arrived in North Carolina on Friday the high temperature for that day was 55 degrees. The next morning when we got back into the car to head back to the dorm it was 50 degrees. I was in shorts because the jeans I had worn the day before were filthy, not to mention loose on me, something that happens after I've been in them for half a day. I figured that putting back on my purple shirt that couldn't seem to stay buttoned and my pants that fall off of me would probably not excite any of the Tar Heel students and parents moving out. We were at the dorm by 7:45 am. There was no coffee.

I attempted to lift each box again, and except for the one housing pillows and bedding, was unable to do. That started me back in on the over poundage. Madison sighed and then demonstrated what the "college kid who is eager for money and doesn't care" would do.

Madison: "First, he will bring in his dolly and put it under this row of boxes. Even if he takes off the first two boxes he most likely will use the dolly for the last few so he doesn't have to bend all the way over. We'll be fine."

Of course, she was right. The college kid came at 8:30 am and I immediately engaged him in scintillating conversation in order to keep his mind off of the heaviness of the boxes. We talked about the company and how it got started. We discussed why UNC was the only one in the area and why the other two colleges didn't use this company. As he talked, he picked up boxes and carried them outside to a rolling cart. By the time he came to the really heavy one he was deep into educating me, although he did utter a "whoof" and rolled his eyes at the heaviness. Immediately, I asked a question of him and he carried the box out while answering. Madison signed off, the guy bid us a good day, and we waited until he was in the elevator before we jumped up and down.

Me: "Well, I just hope now the suitcases make it through the weigh in."


The only item that didn't fit in either boxes, trunk, or suitcase was her foam bedding. Had we had another box we could have made it fit, but as it was we had to leave it behind. Actually we chucked it, and pretended that we didn't remember the actual cost of the item.



Madison got the student housing girl to go over the room. She came in with her clipboard and check sheet and walked around the room asking questions and making checks in boxes. We said good-bye to Madison's first dorm room, locked it, and followed the girl to the office to hand over the keys and sign the book.


Everything packed up, stored, and completed. Check. One year under her belt. Check. Last semester grades of straight A's. Check. We waved good-bye to UNC and spent the rest of the day eating, shopping, move watching, and reading. The next morning we flew home without incident.

Madison: "I told you the suitcases were fine."


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Congratulations!!! You both made it through the first year. Thank goodness I don't have to fly to take or pick up Tyler to college next year. Sounds like Madison did really well in her first year. I hope she it was a great experience. You made it Mom!!!