Sunday, May 01, 2016

Jacaranda 2016

It is finally spring in Florida. Each year either in March or April we know it is spring from the blooming of the Jacaranda trees. I write about these beautiful, purple trees each year because I love them. My husband doesn't love them because they bloom, hang for a week, and then shed the gorgeous, lavender petals blanketing the grass. He hates the carpet part, and refuses to get me a tree.


The purple blooms pop up practically over night. One day it is winter, and the next day the Jacaranda is alive and purple spring is in the air. I love to drive anywhere because among the other trees you can always spot a Jacaranda. I know where most of the trees are located on my familiar daily routes, and I know which trees produce tons of petals, and which trees could use a little fertilizer and more tender, loving care.



When my children were little I invented the Jacaranda car game. Each time a tree is spotted the person who yells, "Jacaranda!" first gets a point. The person who has the most points when we reach our destination is the winner. For two weeks each March or April we play that game every time we are in a car together. All of the girls' friends knew the game. I'm sure it is one of the things I will be remembered for because no one can resist yelling out, "Jacaranda!" when they spot one from the car window. Unfortunately, this year I had no one to play with because Madison is away at college and Darcy drives herself everywhere. Tom halfheartedly plays, but I'm too good for him. I've taken now to texting, "Jacaranda!" to my kids each time I see one by myself or I send a Snapchat photo. It makes me a bit sad.


This year the trees bloomed late. They are not as full this year either. The trees grow really tall, another reason Tom doesn't want one, and are bare in the winter. Slowly in March the greenery appears and fills out the tree before the purple petals too appear as regrowth continues. Not so much green growth is appearing as usual, but perhaps that means the purple trees will be colorful a bit longer than usual. I hope so. These darn trees just make me so happy.


Here's to spring!

No comments: