Saturday, September 24, 2016

Birthday shout outs - one man, two women, and a god kid

It's the end of the year. I'm tired now of saying nice things to people on their birthdays. Thus I'm going to combine those whose birthdays have occurred. Sorry. That's what happens when you have birthdays at the end of the year. I know. I too have one, right before all of the major holidays. Sorry.

# 1 - Birthday shout out to my nephew whose birthday was in August. No, I haven't sent him anything, but I didn't forget his day. It is just that I had no idea where the man was on his birthday. I was told he was staying in Washington where he goes to school. Every time I ask him for his address he gives me his email. (I'm told he's bright.) So without an address I can't send a gift, now can I? So a shout out for now will do!



Mark was the first grandchild in the family. He is the one the rest have to live up to. He set the bar high and enjoys telling the others what they need to do to reach his loftiness. He came into the world shy, quiet, and introspective. The shy, quiet part left him once he attended college, but he can, and always could, hang with adults and children alike. He is intelligent, and don't ask me what he is studying in college as my mind blanks out as soon as he starts in on the details. He is kind. He is a gentleman.


As children, he and Madison were the good kids while the rest of the cousins were goofing off. He was giving instructions on how to behave. Again, out the window with college. Now he's the one telling the other college kids how to go out and have fun. He is competitive, and hates to lose. He will keep playing a game if he feels he has been wronged or if he feels he made some mistakes. He is usually right, is fiercely protective, makes great photo books, and turned out to be a darn good adult.


Happy Birthday Mark! Now send me your darn mailing address!

#2 - My MIL's birthday was Thursday. She turned 86? 87? Now that I'm typing that I'm not even sure. I think it's the latter, but where my MIL is concerned age doesn't matter. The woman rocks her age! She is in better shape than I am. She has more energy than I do. She is a dynamo who refuses to let life pass her by.


She is a traveler, a tap dancer, a pianist, a yoga student, and if I kept going the list would take up most of this post. She is always on the go, is always surrounded by people, and is a hard woman to pin down.

Me: "Did you call your mom and wish her a happy birthday?"
Tom: "I did. She was in some bar celebrating."


Happy Birthday Mary Anne. Hope your day was filled with more than one martini! See you next Monday for the real celebration.

#3 - Shout out to my Auntie Marilyn whose birthday is tomorrow. Once upon a time we only thought of her as the strange relative who lived in a log cabin in the "back woods of California". She was vastly different from my mother, her sister, and I found myself studying her as I felt she studied those around her.


My mother use to tell me I was more like her sister than her, and secretly I was relieved to hear that. I liked her calming demeanor, her quietness, and her laugh. I liked the way she would hang out on a couch or a chair just hugging and loving her daughter, and I realize now that I've done the same with my own daughters.


She was there for my brother and me when my mother was dying, and that alone has given us a bond, but I have always felt a peacefulness when she was around in our lives. I love her humor, her "fuck ya all" attitude, and her gentleness.


Happy Birthday Auntie Marilyn. We are sending you lots of good wishes and many horse pats.

#4 - My nephew's birthday is the same day as my MIL. It is strange that out of this family we have two birthdays where two family members share the day. Little Eli is the baby in his family, but he probably is the one with the strongest personality. Unfortunately, he is at the latter end of the family spectrum and falls into my what-another-birthday category. Present coming soon, kiddo.


Eli has had the misfortune of having to follow behind the other grandchildren. While he might start out trailing them, he also knows when it isn't worth it, and can veer off to do his own thing. He has learned to find his voice as he has gotten older, and it is a loud one. He is feisty and fierce less, and does well to hold his own with his older siblings and cousins.


When he is quiet he is often unnoticed, and because he is so observant, he probably knows all of the family's secrets. I make sure to stay on his good side! Happy Birthday Eli. Big hugs from all of us in Florida.

No comments: