Wednesday, September 21, 2016

From the purge - childhood school papers

The purging is going slowly. The first box, taken from the garage, contained all of my writing. I've spent most of my time in a recliner reading. Oh, my, it has been eye opening. Now I see the point of keeping these things. It is to look back in later years and justify who I am today. My writing material, that which I did all on my own and never completed, gave me quite a lot of insight into myself, and I'm thankful I've decided to purge so my children won't read this and think, "Whoa. Mom. What the f&%$k?"



Also in the container was stuff my mother handed over after she moved from the house she sold out from under us Indiana. It was a folder of stuff from kindergarten through eighth grade; drawings, school papers, tests, and homemade cards. It was fun to go through that folder, but seriously, what will my kids do with that after I'm gone? I showed some of the stuff in the folder to Darcy who smiled patiently, but could care less. She didn't know me as a child, or a teenager, or as a young adult. It meant nothing to her.


I had fun going through it. I turned to the Internet to give me ideas on preserving memories and the best advice was take pictures and make a book. I like that idea. So I took a few pictures of some papers, and maybe one day I shall write a book that my kids can look through and then ask one another, "Do you want this?"



A mother's day card.


Old math




Some science



 Some English - a poem with a drawing


Handwriting - a class that use to be taught in school


A drawing from kindergarten when I was four years old. I changed quite a bit in my self portraits from that year (see above pictures).



Proof that I was not going to be an artist. The teacher wrote on the first paper "These are not good pictures" and gave me an 8 so I attempted a second paper for more credit. She thought it only worth one point.

Up next: Excerpts from my romance novels. I know you can't wait.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait...looking forward to it!😉

Christie said...

Wow, reading this really brings back memories from when I did a purge! It was so interesting to dig up all of my old school work, too. Looking back I could see how I was meant to be a write, which is something I've since pursued. I also made a scrapbook of all my old school pictures and papers I found.