Monday, September 05, 2016

Football hasn't even started, yet...

NFL football is around the corner, and while not everyone who reads me enjoys that statement, it's time once again for me to get on my helmet. Last year I played fantasy football for the first time, and I won. I have played Yahoo's Pick'em weekly since 2009. This year I signed on to also play Survival Football. While I'm not a fan of preseason football I have had to follow up on its happenings so that I can be on top of my games.

Last week Darcy texted me from school. Her group of guy friends were discussing their football fantasy league during lunch, and when Darcy inquired whether she could play in the league with them, one of the guys instead asked if she could text me and ask if I would join. How could I say no to that? 

We held the draft party at our house on Saturday. There are ten teams. Darcy made it in on a team with two other girls. They decided to draft by looks and names of players, and one of the other guys helped them out some. We all sat around the dining room table with laptops and phones and drafted. It was intense since last year I hadn't a clue what I was doing. I'm pretty okay with my team, although I missed out on a few players I really wanted.

Before I joined the ESPN league with these guys I joined a Yahoo team. They weren't drafting until Friday night, and I forgot because we had Kelly over and she was entertaining us with her vacation cruise stories. Because I hadn't queued any players, the computer randomly picked chose for me, and I have to say, the computer didn't do such a poor job. I mean, I ended up with Antonio Brown! 

But, I was annoyed and so Sunday morning I joined another Yahoo team so that I could draft players myself. I hit the join button and then the damn button came up again so I hit it again. Apparently, I signed up for two teams. I didn't know this, however, until I had finished drafting in a league with all guys. I was feeling pretty good about that league when I went back to my main page and discovered the other league. The thing about Yahoo is you can't leave a league. I suppose I could not play in it and ignore it the whole season, but I'd hate to see my stats come down. So I spent considerable time adding and waiving players in the hopes of ending up with a decent team. 

Now I have three Yahoo fantasy teams, one ESPN fantasy team, one Yahoo pick'em team, and one Yahoo survival team. I might need some therapy.

No comments: