Saturday, February 24, 2018

Life Changes

Since we joined Amazon Prime Music I have been experimenting with music. Everything is at my fingertips. Hear a song during one of my television shows that speaks to me? I can SoundHound that baby and have it on my playlist in Amazon Music in a heartbeat. Then I play it on my Amazon Alexa and music is constantly playing in our house. I love it. I've added all sorts of genres to my repertoire and investigated all sorts of artists on Google.

Tom likes to listen to the music. I like to listen to the words. Someone took the time to express his feelings, and the writer in me gets that, so while the music might draw me in, the words hook me for sure. Lately, my newest obsession is Thomas Rhett. I heard his song Life Changes and his words had me delving further into his life, wanting to know more about him. I listened to more of his music and fell in love with his newest album of the same name. He is the songwriter for most of the songs, and now that I'm in the romance world, most of them speak to that creative side of me.

One of his songs, Sixteen, is about being fifteen and how he can't wait to be sixteen because life will be SO much better then. Of course, once he hits sixteen he can't wait to be eighteen and so on and so forth. Oh, how I remember doing the same! Irritated at my parents for something or another, stomping off to slam my bedroom door, and thinking how I couldn't wait to be whatever age because then I could do what I wanted and those two adults would have nothing to say. I wanted to be sixteen. I wanted to be eighteen. I wanted to be grown-up. I wanted to be on my own, living my life, catching my dreams. Then I wanted to be married with children, living my life, catching my dreams.

The song ends for him at twenty-five because Rhett is a youngster (and I'm older than his parents). In the song, he and his wife are laughing about how they once couldn't wait to be sixteen. Because life is great right now and my, oh my, how we all can't wait to be something that we aren't. Yep. Check. Did that too. What Rhett doesn't know because he hasn't experienced it just quite yet, is that in a few more years he will be reversing that. Amidst the dirty diapers, the traveling, and grown-up life he will be wishing he could backtrack to a different time. A time when he was wooing his now wife when they could come and go as they pleased without the worrying and responsibilities that come with parenting. Then several years down the road, he will be wanting to reverse to that time when his children were just that; to the days of diapering, drop-offs at school, and sporting events in the pouring down, chilly rain. One day he will be my age and then he will wish he was back drinking that wine at twenty-five and laughing about those days of wanting to move ahead, to grow up quickly.

If were a songwriter now, my song would be Twenty-six.

No comments: