Friday, February 09, 2018

Sanibel 2018 - Day 3


I slept in on Day 3. My alarm only goes off on the weekdays and I forgot this was a weekend. Oops. The other two walked the beach and had their coffee by the time I got up. They waited for me to have a cup and get dressed and we hiked the beach to the breakfast buffet.


The day started out cloudy, but the sun peeked out intermittently and so we went back to our spot on the beach. I was reading a great book and so I had my nose in it most of the day. The other two sunbathed and then Susan decided to play in the sand. Eventually, her sister joined her to help and a photography session ensued.







Susan went off for a walk and a couple strolled by to read the message. It was hard to read with one's eyes, but easy to read through the camera lens so people would stop and mumble a lot. It was entertaining.

Him: "Which one of you is Susan? It is Susan, right?"
Gina: "It is. She isn't here."
Me: "She is walking the beach."
Her: "Tell her Happy Birthday."
Him: "Yes, tell her Happy Birthday from us and tell her to order anything she wants at the bar and charge it us."

We laughed and they continued down the beach. Later, after lunch and more sunning, we gathered our stuff and went to the pool. The same couple strolled by and I pointed out Susan to them. The man made his offer of drinks again and so Susan ordered a Bloody Mary. He offered to buy all of us drinks, but Gina and I thought his wife seemed to be a tad miffed so we declined. When they brought the Bloody Mary back we chatted them up as we are so good at (having been around Russ and Rusty all these years) and discovered they were from Harrisburg, PA.

Me: "I lived in Harrisburg!"
Susan: "That's where my husband was born!"
Me: "Well, her husband is my brother so we both lived there. CampHill actually."
Them: "That's where we live."

Small world. Turns out they had gone to a Notre Dame football game in South Bend and so the wife finally relaxed a tad before they wished us all well and moved on. Susan said it was the best Bloody Mary she had ever had. She made me SnapChat a photo to my brother.


Gina and I got our own beverages and we sat outside chatting with people poolside before we called it a day and headed back to the room to get ready for dinner. We ate dinner at the other restaurant connected with the resort, ordering stuff to share. We sat overlooking the pool and agreed that Susan's niece had planned a terrific 50th vacation. We drank to her again.


I changed the card game that night and won. We packed up our stuff with the two of them having to practically sit on their suitcases to get them closed. Another early flight would have us up and at 'em the next morning at 4:30 a.m. but we stayed up past midnight anyhow. Why not? These two were going back to snow and cold weather so we kept the door open by the balcony and decided maybe we should come back next year for Susan's 51st.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I assume you asked if they know the Smith!?