Monday, September 24, 2018

Monday NFL 2018 Football Recap

Here we are at week three, and I didn't watch football. I know. Insert the emoji with the bulging eyes. I saw snippets, but this Sunday was all about Steelers football, and my Steelers buddy and I took to the road to travel to the Road Warrier Party in Tampa put on by Steelers Nation Unite.


I joined this organization in 2014 when I received an email explaining how the Rooney's wanted to give back to the fans, and thus SNU was created. I joined and began participating in their points earned competition earning Hall of Fame status four years in a row. I automatically entered into drawings (one of which I won a load of Steelers gear) and got multiple discounts and free shipping on Steelers merchandise. Plus, SNU offers great incentives such as their road parties at away games that include Steelers players and a meet and greet.

I've looked at the pictures over the years and thought, what a great idea. Steelers fans are everywhere, and so when I got the email inviting me to the first of the year party in Tampa, I signed right up. Count me in! Appearances scheduled were Rocky Bleier (ROCKY FREAKIN' BLEIER!), LaMar Woodley, and Santonio Holmes. I was beyond excited, but having been to a Steelers/Bucs game before, I knew that SNU might not be prepared for the crowd they would get.

I was right. The party was held at a pub in Tampa, home to a local Steelers group who gather there every week to watch the Steelers. The line was out the door and down the sidewalk when we arrived before the start of the event. We stood in line and chatted with the people in front of us who had traveled from Orlando. The inside of the pub was packed. SNU also set up outside in the back with a stage, a DJ, and several tents. There was a bar. And a guy cooking hamburgers on a grill. There was face painting. And a photo booth. They had two sections set up for a meet and greet, and while the line for Rocky Bleier was LONG, I did get some close-up photos of the man and enjoyed hearing him speak.



My invitation said there would be raffles every fifteen minutes, and we were each given a number upon entering, but that didn't happen. What did happen was a storm. Welcome to Florida. It rolled in quickly just as LaMar Woodley could be seen, a half an hour late, strolling toward the stage. Whoop, the man was swept away before he took more than a few steps, and an announcement was made that we needed to retreat to our cars. Then the rain came down in buckets. Since we were already under the tent at the stage, we stayed put and watched all of the idiots fans dancing, hollering, and waving their Terrible Towels in the downpour.

It ended after about twenty minutes, and we resumed our wait for the last two stars dancing to the music. Two things were raffled off, and a couple of freebies were tossed into the crowd. The DJ suddenly decided he liked taunting the group, and he strolled around the stage, making us dance, shout, and sing without throwing out the freebies. The double cocktail I had helped me not to come unhinged. But then the rain came again, and this time it came like a hurricane in sheets. We gave up and left because to get indoors was not going to happen. The crowd was too great. It was a disappointment. The two stars were scheduled to come at 4:30, and I saw on social media that they didn't even take the stage indoors until well after I arrived home at 7:00 pm. Not what I would consider a great shingding. I think SNU underestimated the huge fan base here in Florida. It was definitely more a Sunday of drinking in the heat and rain without the football--and I missed all of the other football games.


But I watched the highlights and some Sunday Night football so here goes:

Other:
  • Whoa. What is up with the Pats? Not that I'm complaining, but hey, it happens to most of us. But I'm not ready to put a fork in them any more than I am in my own team.
  • The Pats' Gronk supposedly threatened to retire if he was traded? Boo, fucking Hoo. 
  • Whoa. What was up with the Bills? Obviously, they didn't get the message that they were done.
  • I don't care for Adam Schefter, the pompous NFL "journalist" on ESPN who comes across as a smarmy used-car salesman. He concentrates so much on getting the scoop that he reminds me of the stereotypical movie ambulance chaser. Give me Jay Glazer any time over this twit.
  • The 49ers lost their quarterback Jimmy Grappolo, and I lost one of my fantasy quarterbacks. I found crazy his teammates on camera discussing their disappointment in his decision to stay in bounds. This is going to be the season where players are throwing their teammates under the bus, huh?
  • The Colts organization doesn't seem to have much faith in quarterback Andrew Luck replacing him in the last shot in the fourth quarter. Uh oh.
  • How did I miss that Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer retired? Or apparently, I just forgot that he did. This season's revolving and jumping ships of quarterbacks has got me all discombobulated.
  • Another week of Packers Clay Matthews getting a roughing the passer call on a sack of the quarterback. Even the quarterback Alex Smith was rolling his eyes at the flag. Packers coach Mike McCarthy went ballistic on the sidelines, cursing and advancing on the ref who kept backing up like he was afraid of a punch coming. How come that wasn't flagged? Matthews feels he is being targeted. Yep. Talk to James Harrison on that one, buddy. As usual, the NFL hasn't thought things through carefully. I liked Howie Long's suggestion; make it reviewable.
  • The new play in both pro and college seems to be the hurdle. Jumping over the opposition to get further down the field. I hear Chris Berman's "whoop" every time I see it, but I'm telling you now that trick isn't going to end well for someone.
  • The Steelers/Bucs play tonight on Monday Night Football. ESPN SportsCenter did a great blurb on the implosion of the team. I'm hoping they've got it together tonight. I'll be there in person with 18 other fans in our group. I'm hopeful for a win. I need it, and the Steelers definitely need it. 

No comments: