Tuesday, March 24, 2020

I did something right

When we traveled via car when the girls were little, I introduced them to all of the games my brother and I played on our own family car trips. My mother introduced them to educational games she made up on the spot such as giving out the state on a license plate and the girls had to give her the capital. My kids know the capitals of the route to Indiana quite well. Later, when electronics came into play, I'd give the history of passing landmarks and later throw out the trivia.

Imagine my happiness when Madison answered my trivia question regarding Florida's Polytechnic College, which we passed on the way to Orlando.

Madison"It is the only college with a fully digital library."

And my happiness when Darcy began shouting out license plates for us to shout back the capitals. 

On the trip home, Darcy's boyfriend Oleg told us about a car game where each person finds the letters of the alphabet on signs starting with A and finishing with Z. He'd barely got out the rules and we were already ten letters ahead of him.

Darcy: "We know the game. It was a huge part of my childhood."

It's always a good feeling to know I've left a mark on my kids.


No comments: