Tuesday, March 10, 2020

NO! Not again.

Recently, during a discussion with my daughter and husband, I expressed my love for the now-defunct Picasa, Google's original photo organizer/editor. 

Me: "I only have it on my desktop, and if it ever disappears, I'll die because every picture I own is organized in there."

Tom: "You have it though in files on your computer, right?"

Me: "Yes, but I LOVE that program. I work on it daily. I couldn't live without it. I don't understand why Google had to replace it. I don't like Google photos. There is no organization, and it drives me crazy. Picasa makes me SO happy."

Yep, you know where this is going, don't you? 

My husband updated my computer a week ago. 

Tom: "It'll run faster, and I cleaned it up."

It's my own fault. I mentioned a few oddities I had discovered while searching for an old file. I wanted him to find the old file. He heard, "my computer needs updating, and it needs you to get rid of everything I hold dear."

It took me until Tuesday to notice my Picasa was gone.

Kaput.

Missing.

I had a mini-breakdown complete with tears, angry frustration, and a few choice words regarding helpful husbands.

Google Photos does not allow me to organize pictures. They do it their way by date taken, and their style is not helpful in any way, shape, or form. I do understand this replacement was so our photos could work across mobile devices and the worldwide web, but for me, organizing my photos by year and then into specific categories makes my life easier. 


That's why I love Picasa. My pictures are organized in such a way that when I need a photo, I can find it in a jiffy. That's how I discovered Picasa had been kidnapped off my computer. I wanted to tweet a picture for my brother's birthday...AND IT WASN'T THERE...IN MY PICASA...UNDER 1968 PA.

Once I got myself together, I began searching immediately for replacement programs. I found another person who agreed with me regarding the organizing side of Picasa vs. Google Photos. I spent the time I should've been working on finding a replacement. Finally, I texted my husband, who promised he would make it all better.

Luckily for him me, some sites still have the Picasa download. The husband downloaded it from a trusted site, and BAM, there were my pictures all nice and neat in their related files, and my world was back to normal.


Until the next upgrade.

Me: "How about next time you discuss with me before you sit at my computer to make improvements? How do you know what's important or not on my computer? Picasa isn't the only thing missing. And honestly, we just had this discussion about how important Picasa was to me. Out of everything, shouldn't you have made sure Picasa was still there? Never mind. Don't answer that. You weren't listening, were you? Or you heard the ocean? Or you forgot?"

Tom: "I'm thinking next time I'll check with you before updating."

Okay, so maybe he is learning...

No comments: