Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Spring Break 2020

We planned Spring Break several months ago, and when we were unable to find plane tickets under $500 because we live in Spring Break tourist destination, we settled--on Orlando. We figured we'd use it as a home base and travel to other areas for day trips (St. Augustine was one). I secured a three-bedroom suite with my Wyndham points, and we began planning.

Then came COVD 19.

What to do. What to do.

I worried. I discussed it with health officials. But this was way before closings and way before our leader came to the realization this wasn't fake news.

By then, we were in Orlando--self quarantined in a resort.


At least we have four different walls to stare at daily, although it's day five, and the troops are a tad edgy.


We have a spacious suite. Here, in Reunion Resort, they are not units but suites. We have three bedrooms and three bathrooms, a sizable living area, a kitchen, and a balcony where I stare at the most massive sandpit for a golf course I've ever seen. If I have to be quarantined, there are worse places, I suppose.

Day one, we loaded up with supplies. Day two and day three were spent poolside with minimal people. There are eleven pools on-site, but we opted to only go to the pool in our area, and when more than ten people arrived later in the day, we headed home.


Day four was spent in our suite watching the stock market blow through our savings, and now on day five, we are going stir crazy. Do we go home? Do we stay? What to do. What to do.

One by one places are closing. Here, the pools are still open, but we aren't sure for how long. I received an email from Club Wyndham telling me to stay home, that the vacation experience I've come to expect won't happen. Uh???

Supposedly the pools are closed. Uh???

The fitness center did close today before Darcy got in her workout. Instead, we walked around outside.


We've put together three puzzles, played cards and board games, cooked every meal in our suite, and watched more HGTV, Lifetime, and Hallmark than ever.

I've colored in my Jason Momoa fantasy coloring book, and we've only left for grocery runs, and then purchased only what we needed.


We have requested and received more toilet paper. Thus far, apparently no shortage in Reunion.

We have a feeling our days are numbered. We spoke to a Wyndham employee who said as of Friday, they'd be released so perhaps we will be sent home then. As for now, we remain isolated in the resort, following protocol, washing our hands, only venturing out for necessities. 

Reality won't be so different at home for the girls and me. Not so for SueG who must return to work and Darcy's man who returns to the college campus.

Let's hope the will get worse before it gets better adage isn't true. I'm hoping, like the pollen on my tree, that this comes and goes quickly. Fingers crossed. 

No comments: