Monday, April 06, 2020

Quarantine week four

And now for the good things about quarantine...
  • I'm hearing from people on my contact list. People I may only speak to once or twice a year. Hell, I've even taken the bull by the horns and reached out to peeps myself. It's been fun catching up, whether by phone, Facetime, or text. 
  • Facebook isn't full of everyone's opinions and principles and shoving it down our throats. It has done a one-eighty and knocked off the bullshit. I'd rather hear about your time in quarantine than your political views. Hell, even your cheery photos make me smile.
  • I'm in closer contact with my family far away. I mean, my brother called me!! On his own. And when I asked why he was calling, he sang I Just Called To Say I Love You.
  • No robocalls to my home or to my cell phone. A week or so ago, I did have someone calling about selling me solar panels. I shut him down with a "Seriously? My priority at this time is keeping myself and my family free from a pandemic. Solar isn't on my mind." To his credit, he apologized and told me to be safe.
  • The pre-adults cook! - I suggested we keep our vacation mode where we each plan and prepare a dinner dish. Now, on a few nights, I'm on clean-up duty instead of cooking duty.
  • The creativity of people! I've seen some great stuff on social media. Keep sending it!
  • Deals. Here in my area, restaurants are offering specials that rock. We got 51% off our pizza on Friday night, and it fed the five of us for two meals. Online stores are offering great deals for merchandise, although I really think free shipping should be thrown in too, and not everyone is doing that. 
  • No guilt when napping. Friday, Madison had grad school interviews from 8:00 to 4:00. When the internet started getting spotty, and it kicked her off, the rest of us jumped off and had nothing to do. Instead, I napped for three hours and never once had dreams about Tom coming home and finding me asleep. 
  • Seeing Darcy. She's been away at college, of course, and had this not happened, she'd have been traveling overseas in May and then starting summer school. We would have only seen her sporadically when she could get home. Now? Yep, daily, and now maybe through the summer since her classes will now be online.
  • Getting to know Oleg better. Nothing like living with people 24/7 to see the real side of them. So far, I like what I see with this kid who jumps before I even finish a sentence. Me: "Look how dusty it is in my entertainment center. I forgot to..." He's up and dusting. I'm thinking I'll keep him.
  • Church online. When I became an empty nester, I opted to keep my routine, including early rising during the week and sleeping late on the weekends. Sundays were always a problem. Go to church or sleep in? Now, I can have both! I slept until 10:28 this Sunday, brushed my teeth, climbed back into bed, and attended church at 10:30 all while under the covers.

No comments: