Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Quarantine week seven, day 46


Last night, we discussed how it seems like its been MONTHS since we were thrown together, but just now typing my title for this post, forty-seven days IS longer than I first thought. How crazy is this? In Florida, we rank in the top ten of states affected, but in our large county, surprisingly, we are under eight hundred cases and very few deaths. I give props to our sheriff and his office. They have been very visible, and they have made sure our county quarantine ordinance was evident to everyone when out and about with signage in every storefront. I'm sure his budget is way off the mark already for the year.

At home, for now, we are a well-oiled machine, pumping and grinding with daily chores and projects, making sure we each have our alone time, as well as some family togetherness. Each person has his schedule, and we are respectful of that as we are of each other. We've had minor tension incidents, and most were due to my grouchiness. I've discovered during this quarantine that I really like an empty house--at least for a few hours during the day. 

This week I ventured to the grocery store because our weekly delivery order and pick-up order (we do both from two different stores) dropped the ball on three items. Darcy and I, masks intact, entered Publix for those three items, but once through the door, the magic of picking out my own produce grabbed me with a vengeance, and it was all Darcy could do to rein me in.

Darcy: "What part of we are here for three things are you not getting? Three things, Mom. Get out of produce."

Fifty dollars--and more time spent than budgeted--the high kept me going for the rest of the day. Apparently, Tom's suggestion to drive around town isn't so far off the mark.

 Our county commissioners voted to open our beaches next week. So, Monday is the day we can all slide our toes back into the sand and jump into the gulf. Six feet away from someone else, of course. 

From there, it's just a matter of time before businesses reopen and people either ignore that or flock to have their hair and nails done, order a beer, or eat a meal. Personally, I'm staying put except for necessities like my yearly mammogram and a follow-up visit to my heart doctor. I'll stick with eating here at home and wait to see how things progress. I'm lucky. I can do that.

Darcy's college summer session has already been deemed online, and her job won't be reopening until July 1st, so her plans for subleasing and staying at school have died. She will be here, studying online and working at her old summer job alongside Madison if and when a decision is made to hold summer camp. Oleg's internship will be online, and he will return to his apartment when that time arrives to learn the business world from the comfort of his home. 

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get that quiet time come June. 



Or not.

No comments: