Saturday, October 02, 2010

And still she sits

Connie still sits in the hospital, although she sometimes moves slowly from her bed to sit in a chair. She has yet to investigate the bathroom, but she maneuvers well from bed to bedside commode. What? You think that too personal? Hey people, long term care ain't pretty!

She isn't suppose to put any weight on her left charcot foot so walking on one leg is quite difficult.  She has occupational therapy to work her upper body and physical therapy to work her lower body.  She is strong in the upper and very weak in the lower.  The PT has her walk from the bed to the door and a few steps out the door where she can peek down the hallway, but by the time she is back to the bed she is done.  One legged walking isn't easy for anyone....except for Darcy. (should have a picture of her on the walker, but didn't take it)

I try to make it up there once a day, but it isn't always easy.  Once you are there you must gown and glove up, something the girls embrace with relish for awhile.  Madison was wandering the room today in her gown and I commented on how she looked like a doctor in her gown.  Since she wants to be a vet I said I could certainly see her as one at least in looks.


Me:  "You aren't suppose to wear the gown out here in the hallway."

Madison:  "That is silly.  It is just a waste."

Me:  "But you are bringing germs out into the hallway and putting other patients at risk."

Madison:  "And the germs aren't wafting out the top of the door into the hallway infecting others?"

Darcy:  "I have to use the bathroom."

Me:  "I don't know where it is."

Darcy:  "Madison, come with me."

Me:  "No!  She can't go with you dressed in that gown."

Madison:  "Of course I can.  I'm a doctor."

1 comment:

Susan said...

Thank you for the photos and update! Love the photo of Darcy (same look Gabby had on her face everytime I took her to see Rusty!)