Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cheeseburger in paradise?

I get some recipes off of a site called Menus4Moms.  They give you a weekly menu and grocery list and they have helped me keep myself on track when it comes to cooking dinner each night.  I don't always follow the menus and sometimes I tweek the recipes, but I enjoy this site.

I checked out the last two weeks in their archives while wondering what to cook this week.  One of the recipes was for cheeseburger soup.  It sounded gross, but in reading over the ingredients they were all things I enjoyed in a soup.  Since the weather has been in the 60's in the evening I have been enjoying different soups lately and so I decided to give this one a try.

So glad that I did.  It was quite delicious and tasted just like a cheeseburger.  Next time I will probably add more potatoes and veggies and less meat, but for my first attempt it was a hit with the family.  I served with crunchy bread, but I thought cornbread would be delicious with it too.  Yum yum!

Cheeseburger Soup
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • chopped onion
  • chopped carrots
  • diced celery
  • diced potatoes
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 8 oz. Velveeta cheese
  • 1 1/2 cup milk (I used 1/2 cup half & half and 1 cup milk)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
I fried up the ground beef and then sauteed the onion, carrots, and celery in with the meat.  Stir in the flour and add broth and potatoes.  Cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.  Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper.  Cook until cheese melts.  Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yummy! Looks so good!!!