Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas memories

Every Christmas my father, our official photographer, took pictures of us on the stairs with all of our presents.  In Indiana the stairs were a tad too narrow as we grew and so he took the photos where ever we would allow.  We griped, of course, but now I love looking back through the pictures and remembering all the gifts I received.

 Christmas 1968
I tried to do the same with my kids, and in the beginning I didn't do such an awful job.  I could maneuver them into place with promises of better things to come or whatever bribery I'm sure I had to use.

Christmas 2002

 But alas, this is the last year I managed to get any photos of the girls with their loot.  I do have pictures of the loot in later years, but somehow it just isn't the same.  I'm not sure what happened, but I so regret not having those photos now.  

Christmas 1971 in NC

 Christmas 1972 in IN

Mostly, I feel guilty that my children will regret not having those photos.  They won't be able to look back and laugh at the goofness (see above) or marvel at the presents and shout, "Oh, I loved that present!" or "I still have that!"  Memories aren't easy to keep in the head, but pictures certainly help.  I wonder if it is too late to start recording now?

 Christmas 1979
 

No comments: