Monday, December 27, 2010

Monday morning sports recap

Didn't really get to see the Steelers game as we had Christmas at Connie's that night, but my new IPhone with its ESPN app alerted me each time someone scored and then at each quarter so I was kept abreast.  By the time I got home and turned on the NFL Network there were two minutes left and Big Ben was taking a knee.  Did enjoy all the hoopla after the game, however.

Steelers game:
  • Obviously the boys took my advice via my blog and my twittering and got back into playing their game.  Ben had his nose hit again, but he mopped up the blood and got right back in again.  Good to see that they want that 2nd position in the AFC.  But really...Carolina had only won two games all year.
  • Hate seeing Troy dressed in street clothes on the sidelines, but he looks as good in a Steelers jacket and hood as he does in uniform.  That's important, insightful sports information by the way.
  • Annoying that the defense let the Panthers score, missing out on shutout, but they are beating themselves up over it so I hope this just fires them up for next Sunday.
  • Great to see Heath Miller back in action after his concussion.  We need him up the middle.
Before I move on I want to give a shout out to the players for participating in caroling for all of us in Steeler Nation.  Especially cracked up near the end as the booze must have been taking affect.  If you haven't seen it, it is worth checking out here.  But the best was Coach Dick LaBeau reciting Twas the Night Before Christmas.  What a great job.  I'm sure his grandchildren love crawling up into his lap for story time.  He acted it out nicely, and I loved the beginning portion which he wrote here.

And another thing...I watched the Top Ten Pittsburgh Steelers in history last night, recorded from Thursday night's NFL Network, and I have to say that 8 out of those 10 selected have also made the walls of my Steelers room.  Not sure I would agree with the order of #1 and #2, but I named 9 of those on the list, impressing my daughter who lasted through # 5. 

Others:
  • I'm tired of the "will he or won't he" Brett Favre show now.  Put a fork in the guy.  The more he continues on he just gets more pitiful, and that is a shame for a great quarterback who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.  But seriously, sending pictures of parts of his anatomy to young girls, watching him  hobble off the field, and his woe is me press conferences are just plain sad.  Call it quits Favre, get some professional help, and try to salvage what is left of your marriage and your life.
  • I'm also tired of listening to all the Floridians whining about Urban Meyers leaving the Gators.  So he quit, then said, "oh, sorry, just kidding" and coached again, and then he quit again.  The man has health issues and made the first decision because he was scared.  Then for whatever reason, people freaking out, people telling him he was wrong, players guilt-ing him, his wife realizing he would be home, he changed his mind and coached this year.  Okay, well, now he knows he was wrong and he is done.  People make mistakes, have an oops moment.  Get over it.  I'm tired of reading about it and hearing about despite the fact that it gives me something to blog about.
  • Does Jason Garret really believe he has a chance as the head coach of the Cowboys?  How can anyone believe in anything when it comes to Jerry Jones?  I hope he is just going along doing the best he can, which is pretty darn impressive considering their play the beginning of the year, not expecting anything from the Cowboy organization, or at best hoping other teams see what he can do.
  • Terry Bradshaw reminds me more and more of my Dad.  When he sat back in his chair telling the boys behind the desk something and reached up and scratched his ear I swear I saw Russ Mason.
  • I understand that at times receivers have to run sideways to escape a tackle, but more and more I'm watching them run sideways and backwards hoping for an advantage.  In the Bears/Jets game I watched two receivers run sideways on a 1st and 2nd down, the 2nd down going for 1 yd.  Neither time did that work.  Hello?  Forward, boys, forward!
  • Enough of the Coors Light commercials!  Do these coaches really like seeing themselves answering these idiotic questions?  This is like the stuff we use to do as kids, turn down the sound on the TV and voice the characters on the screen.  Once is funny, but Herm Edwards just came across as pitiful.
  • Whereas Peyton Manning can't make a bad commercial in my opinion.  How great is his newest one with Jim Nantz for Sony?  Oh, there is the stuff about how Nantz shouldn't have done it, which I consider a bit silly, but it is quick and to the point with Peyton wearing that bubble wrap shoulder pads.  Hilarious!
  • Got kind of a kick out of Ted Ginn of the San Francisco 49ers rubbing the towel in the face of quarterback Troy Smith while he argued with soon to be fired head coach, Mike Singletary.  He was trying to remind him to respect the coach because no good comes out of screaming at the man who makes the decisions on which quarterback plays on any given day.  Then Ginn decided Singletary was mouthing off too much and he yells at him.  All mute in the end because Singletary was fired later that evening.
  • And speaking of that firing...rumor had it Singletary didn't get along with his quarterbacks or players.  Are you listening and taking notes over there in Washington Mike Shanahan?

No comments: