Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cara's scanned vacation photos #3 - Los Angeles, CA

We flew in 1998 to California for Tom's brother's 40th birthday.  It was a surprise and the whole Boos family flew out to celebrate.  We spent several days there.  I had never been and the one thing I kept telling the family was that I wanted to see a star, preferably one from General Hospital.


We went into the city and I had everyone on high alert to find me a star.  We did all the tourist things.

The Hollywood walk of fame, the Chinese theater, Rodeo Drive, and Venice Beach.  We had lunch there and we walked and walked and walked.


But there were no celebrities wandering the streets.  I was very annoyed.  There was also no where to use the bathroom unless you purchased things.  We finally ended up going into a Starbucks for drinks so that we could use the facilities.  Tom's sister, his brother, Madison and I went into the Starbucks and got into line.  In front of us was a man and his son, a child about the same age as Madison.  The two of them stared at one another and then began babbling in the language that two year olds understand.  I think the boy liked something Madison had in her hand, and she was offering it to him as she always did when another kid wanted something of hers.  The father turned and spoke to the two kids, telling Madison she was a sweet child to share her things.  It was then I noticed the father was Jonathan Frakes.

Me: (whispering)  "OMG! That's Jonathan Frakes"

Beth:  (whispering)  "Who?"

Me:  "Jonathan Frakes.  He's married to Genie Francis.  I wonder if she is here.  Why isn't she here? OMG! Genie Francis would be such a huge star for me to see."

Beth:  "I don't know who these people are.  Who are they?"

Me:  "Genie Francis is from General Hospital."

Beth:  "But who is this?"

Me:  "Oh, I don't know, he plays on Star Trek something or other.  I don't watch it.  I just know that's him and he is married to Genie Francis."

Beth:  "Are you sure?  No one is acting like he is a celebrity."

Dick:  "She's right.  It is Jonathan Frakes.  I know who he is.  He's the commander on Star Trek Generations."

At that point I'm sure he heard us whispering.  He patted Madison on the head, smiled at me and told me she was a great kid, and then moved up to the bar to place his order.  As he exited the Starbucks with his son and drinks to get into his car that was parked outside he stood and looked around.  I felt a tad sorry for him at the moment because I think he had heard our conversation and was looking for someone to recognize him.  Someone did and pretty soon he was signing autographs for a small group of people wandering into Starbucks, and I got to go home and tell people I saw a star and that he talked to my daughter.


The rest of the vacation was spent celebrating Dick's birthday, once at the Cheesecake Factory and once at his house in Redondo Beach.  He was very surprised that we had all made the trip, kids and all.


Madison enjoyed herself as always.  We took her everywhere we went so she can at least say she visited these famous places and saw a star!


No comments: