Monday, May 07, 2012

Weekend in photos


My cousin in Indiana called me Friday.  His mother, who lives about three minutes from my house in a mobile home park, had called him frantic because her ceiling had caved in.  She had hired a guy to seal her roof, something she does yearly, and while he was doing his sealing her ceiling began to buckle.  She ran outside and told him to get off the roof.  He didn't.

The ceiling collapsed.  She called her son, my cousin.  He called me.  I drove over to survey the scene for him and to take photos.  It wasn't as bad as I expected.  I thought the man had fallen through the roof so this damage looked good compared to the damage I had conjured up in my head.

His mother was calm by the time I arrived.  She called her insurance company.  I gave her the name of a contractor.  Looks like the insurance company isn't going to pay up because the adjuster saw some "water damage".  Not sure what the insurance does pay, but my contractor gave her the names of some mobile home roofers who came out and were super sweet.  Hopefully, she will get it all worked out.

Darcy and I signed up to help Kelly clean six bathrooms at her church.  We agreed to each take a task.  Kelly cleaned toilets, Darcy cleaned sinks, mirrors, and surfaces, and I did the sweeping and mopping.  It took us one hour and 45 minutes to complete.  We found 1 roach, 4 wads of chewed up gum, 1 clogged toilet, 4 screws in a toilet, and 1 test tube in a urinal.




We are still pperplexed about the screws and test tube, both of which were in the men's restroom.  The packages where the screws once resided were on the floor next to the toilet, and try as we did we couldn't comprehend why someone would wander into a bathroom, open a package of screws and dump them into the toilet.

We didn't choose to speculate about the test tube.



It is corn season in Florida right now.  Connie said the corn was good, but I waited a week.  The first batch was 4 for $2.00 and tasted like what I imagine munching field grass would taste like.  The next batch was 6 for $2.00 and was tasty.  It comes in yellow, white, and bi-color.  I always get the white.

It ain't Indiana corn, but it is a vegetable my kid's will eat and we haven't had corn since last summer.  Still I'm amazed that it tastes nothing like Indiana corn.  Maybe Connie should think about adding corn in her plantation.

I awoke one morning to this little message from the President.  It was in my kitchen, and it refers to the time, while Obama was campaigning for the Presidential election, when he stopped in our area to deliver a speech and worked out in my gym.  My friend and I worked out right next to him on the elliptical.

I wrote about that experience here.  He obviously didn't have his speech writers write this note as the first word needs some work.

No comments: