Saturday, May 19, 2012

Internet info

I have Yahoo as my main browser setting, and I love the headlines of articles you can read if you choose.  This morning's fun article was "The Weird Reasons You're so Tired" and because I am always tired I had to read it because the article promised to solve my sleeping issues.  Below is a summary of the article and my take on things in italics. Thank you Dr. Oz.

  1. H. Pylori bacteria in your stomach - Over 4.5 billion people have this stomach mucus destroying bacteria in their bodies.  It can cause ulcers or sores on the lining of the stomach allowing acid to escape and travel up the esophagus.  This in turn causes a sore throat which can lead to a restful night's sleep.  A simple breathing test can tell whether or not you have this bacteria and a simple antibiotic can cure it. - I bet I have that for sure and it is the cause of my acid reflux and not the chocolate, pizza, garlic, and soda my doctor said caused it.  What a relief to know it is something simple.  But my doctor is going to have me breath into her nose to sniff out the bacteria.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
  2. Phlegm - Each night as you slumber phlegm is building up in the back of your throat blocking the oxygen pathway from the nose to the lungs, causing you to breath through your mouth.  A big no no in getting a good night's sleep.  Breathing through the mouth leads to a lower blood oxygen level and this in turns causes fatigue.  Dr. Oz recommends using a mouthwash or salt water rinse every morning to remove the phlegm to boost your energy. - At first I thought that morning use was a mistake.  Why wouldn't I use that at night before I went to bed?  But then I realized my energy would be boosted and thus I wouldn't get a good night's sleep.  I know I have phlegm (who doesn't?) so I'll give this a one a try.
  3. Morning Coffee & Tea - Bad for you!  Bad for you!  Coffee causes you to be up, up and then down, down, and the caffeine dehydrates you.  Solution?  Drink a cup of water with your coffee and drink in moderation. - I do this already so obviously this isn't a source of my fatigue I drink a bottle of water every morning before I do anything else, and Dr. Oz gives me thumbs up on this because my body has gone 8 hours without water while I slept and replenishing it is key.
  4. Comfy Clothing - Apparently wearing sweats and t'shirts sends the wrong message to the brain.  It makes us comfortable which causes us to relax and slouch, and that puts more pressure on the muscles which in turn causes a decrease in the flow of oxygen.  The solution is to dress up every day because this gives you confidence, increases blood flow, and stimulates the adrenal glands. - I wonder what category scrubs falls under?  It certainly makes me feel professional and isn't that the same as having confidence?  Obviously, I need to wear those things daily!
  5. Wrong Clothing Color - Black, navy and brown clothing stimulate the secretion of melatonin, the chemical that makes you sleepy.  Wearing white suppresses it and stimulates serotonin.  Wearing red gives you an aggressive energy, and wearing yellow stimulates the brain, gives you confidence, and encourages optimism.  - Now I know how Kelly does it!  Yellow is her favorite color.  Unfortunately, black is mine.  The other day I wore pink and someone said to me, "I've never seen you in anything but black". This is obviously my main cause of  fatigue.   I guess I should look for some yellow scrubs.
The rest of the article dealt with some cures that Dr. Oz offered up to battle fatigue. 
  1. Eggs & Cantaloupe - A protein and a complex carbohydrate, these foods help absorb sugar and sustains energy all day long. - This I could do if eggs weren't on my list of shameful foods that raise my cholesterol, and if I spent the summer in Indiana where cantaloupe tastes right.
  2. Cordyceps Mushrooms - This type of mushroom is found on the head of caterpillars and improves metabolism which helps give you energy. - I  went outside immediately to see if I could find some on the heads of the caterpillars that roam my screened in porch, but alas, they all must be at a conference today.
  3. Nopal Cactus -  This is known as the prickly pear and is found in jams or you can get it dried or fresh. It has lots of antioxidants that help detoxify the body. - My local restaurant sells a prickly pear margarita so this one should be easy for me to get.
  4. Walrus Exercise - To do this exercise you lie down on your stomach, arms stretched out in front, palms down.  Push down with your palms, use your core, and move forward across the room like a walrus.  The exercise helps stimulate the brain and works obscure muscles.    - Reading this made me realize I haven't a clue what a walrus looks like walking so I've observed some via the Internet and shall work on this exercise diligently.  Mostly when others are around.


No comments: