Wednesday, July 25, 2012

From the Indiana travel journal - Day 1

Kelly's entry:

Observation of Indiana:  Many dead animals on the road, field after field of corn, highway we're on has speed limits ranging from 35 to 60 mph.  Cara has run two yellow lights so far.  Lots of griping about the electronics situation so far.  I don't want to hear it.  These girls have the rest of their lives to have their noses buried in a video game.  I am now suddenly as old as Cara, so I have even fewer years than I thought.  So these girls need to get on  the "family togetherness" wagon with big, joyful smiles on their faces... Their precious little faces...why do they have to grow up?

Madison's entry:

Two hours in the car and so far everything has gone well.  (Mommy, I know you will mention my handwriting.  Please remember we are in the moving car and have limited space back here.)  We just finished our Target run, and yes, I do mean run  (everyone please stop freaking out every time you can't find something within the first 20 seconds at searching for it) as we had several panicky moments in which my  mom couldn't find this or that, particularly this journal.  Anyway, I think we were all glad to get out and stretch for a few moments and now we are back in with renewed enthusiasm.  This can be seen as I'm now listening to Kelly and my mom try to rap along to a song with the creative title, Good Good.  Overall, the trip has been fun despite the electronics, and I am enjoying our family fun.

Darcy's entry:


I have now officially read Maddy's journal entry and I would like to comment that we had to persuade, no force, Maddy to take part in our "family fun".  We played the alphabet game.  At first it was loads of fun, but by the letter G it started getting old.  It was a VERY long game.  Eventually the game came to an end.  I happily went back to reading my favorite magazine.  I glanced up after reading a funny story and saw Maddy playing on her Nintendo DS...and ELECTRONIC!  I mentioned she was not suppose to be using electronics.  I know how bad it sounds, but if Cara, Kelly, and I are going electronics free then so is Maddy.  So me, being the big mouth I am, told Mom and Kelly.  They, however, did not make Maddy put away the electronics.  I EVENTUALLY let it go despite my efforts.

The car ride continued on and I read my magazine.  As I was reading, Kelly asked me to fetch her phone which had fallen underneath her seat.  Of course, my first response was about her using electronics, but I agreed to help her.  I got down and reached under the chair, but it was all black and un-see-able.  I told Kelly, "Uh, I can't see anything.  I need a flashlight."  Kelly simply replied, "I have a flashlight if you need one."  Then I remembered that I had a flashlight in my purse.  "Never mind," I said, "I have one!"

My mom piped up.  "Well, Maddy don't you think that is odd?  That Kelly and Darcy BOTH have flashlights on them?"  As I look back on this event now at 8:15 pm, according to Kelly  (and Wikipedia) if it has batteries it's electronic.  So I realize they truly let their guard down.  I got away with the use of electronics!  I'm bad.

Kelly's entry:

My concern about the limiting - not ban - on the use of electronics is the amount of time it takes away from group interaction.  I am not going to say anything else on this subject as I am being misunderstood.  Use electronics, play video games, tweet, text, use GPS; do what you want as long as you don't allow yourself to disengage for too long.  I enjoy your-alls' company.  Even then, I don't really have a say in what anyone does.

We finally arrived in Indianapolis and went to Kevin's house.  Tom called on Cara's phone while we were using it for directions.  There was a moment of indecision until Maddy pulled up directions on her phone.  We went out to dinner at Cancun Mexican restaurant.  The margaritas were good and potent.  The food was pretty good too.  Mom paid for us all.  Then it was back to Kevin's for cake.


Mom got a cake decorated with the outline of the state of Indiana.  Very cool.  Now we are at Mom's.  I am full and sleepy and ready for bed.  Think I will read and go to sleep.


Cara:

I rented the car in South Bend and drove to Indianapolis with no problems.  I felt good that I never felt stress and was very relaxed.  Welcome home!  We will be staying at Ann's house the next few days.  She lives in a beautiful house that is beautifully decorated with light, happy colors and lots of nice paintings and prints.


Tonight was fun at Kevin and Larry's house and the cake was so cute.  Ann  has given up her bedroom to Kelly and Darcy.  Madison and I are in the guest room.  We told her we had a blow up mattress to use, but she insisted she would sleep on the couch.  All in all, a good start to our Indiana vacation.

No comments: