Friday, July 27, 2012

From the travel journal - Day 2

Cara's entry:
The night passed uneventfully. Ann and I were up first and we chatted loudly in the living room which woke up everyone else. We had a lazy morning, a delicious home cooked brunch, and then Kelly, Madison, Darcy and I left to seek an adventure.



We chose to go to the 100 Acres, a sculpture nature walk that is part of the Indianapolis Museum of Art. It was a three mile walk through woods with man made trails. It was 90 degrees and not much different than Florida. The first sculpture was in the area where you park. It was a basketball court with red and blue piping that depicted the trajectory bounce of basketballs. I loved it. You could touch and play on the sculptures so I said aloud that if we were in my van I would have had a basketball in the back.  No sooner did those words come out of my mouth then one of the guides opened up his car trunk, took out a basketball, and came over to the sculpture to shoot some hoops. We chatted with him and I refrained from stealing the ball from him and scoring.


We left the sculpture and entered the woods.  The hike wasn't too bad except for the sun and heat. The scenery was pretty and I took quite a few pictures. We didn't really have a map to follow as the map stations were all empty so we sort of walked in a circle and didn't see as many sculptures as I would have liked, but it was a fun adventure.


Darcy's entry:

Today is Friday the 13th. This morning was just like yesterday's. We woke up late and didn't eat breakfast until 11:30. For breakfast we had biscuits and eggs. While we were eating I noticed a very BIG trail and group of ants! Kelly came over and sprayed glass cleaner all over the ants to kill them.

While we waited for the ants to die, Mom taught us (again) the family tree. We have a big family and apparently our family lacks the name Bob. But we have a Cockeye! Very confusing. Who picked that name? Not that I'm bagging on his name, I just find it interesting that in our large family we don't have a Bob. Thankfully, we don't have a Ben either! I REALLY dislike that name! I don't know why I dislike it, but I do.

Today we decided to go see the movie Brave. The movie was good, but very depressing. After the movie we decided to go to Target. We spent a couple of hours hanging out and Kelly was VERY happy when she found her wallet. After Target we headed home for a pizza and game night.

Kelly's entry:


I was reading the above entry and wondered why Darcy does not like the name Ben. There's Ben Franklin, one of our founding fathers. There's Ben Roethlisberger, QB of her fave football team, and Ben, son of John & Sharon. Seems odd that she would not like that name. I do agree that it's odd not to have a Bob in the family. Of course, when I think about it, I don't know of a Bob in my family either.

At the 100 Acre park yesterday was a huge sculpture that had swings hanging off it. These swings had heavy duty chains on them. The seats were roughly cut chunks of wood about 3 inches thick. All of us decided to swing. Cara joked about swinging high and then jumping out. Suddenly this seemed like a good idea to me. I announced I was going to jump out of the swing. I was not going high. Darcy, of course, had her Iphone camera ready (I would find out later). I readied myself and then jumped out on the forward swing. I landed on two feet, and for a brief moment, I was solid. Then immediately I realized I was falling backward. I fell right back onto my butt and then onto my back.

The second realization was that the heavy chunky swing seat was soon to return from the backward swing. The seat was low to the ground and I was lying right in its path. I put my head back onto the ground as quickly as I could think to do it. The swing missed my head. The observers had been too stunned by my fall to think to grab the swing. Darcy had captured some horribly embarassing photos of me. One in particular made me look like a roly poly turtle stuck on his back.

The important thing is that I was not injured...another reassurance of my youth and vitality. I did get some dirt and wood chips in my underwear though.

Cara's entry:

In reading back over the above entries I feel the need to clarify a few things:

1. We do have a Bob in the family.  In putting together the family tree (on a small amount of paper) I had some brain farts on a few names. I also may have forgotten a huge chunk of the family, one of them being my cousin Bob, who actually showed up at the family reunion and made me remember I had left off a chunk of family members. I quickly fixed that. I do not know of any Bens in the family, but I am horrified that Darcy doesn't like the name since she loves, absolutely LOVES, little Benjamin Carlisle.

2. I told Kelly not to jump out of the swing....multiple times. My goal for this trip has been to not visit any hospitals. Of course, my telling Kelly NOT to do something only made her more determined TO do it.

3. I was not a bit stunned at her falling, as I told her that is what would happen if she attempted to jump. I will, however, admit to being a tad slow in remembering the swing would return in time to hit her in the head. I think it came to me as I watched it coming back down toward her head, but I might have had a fleeting thought that a good jolt to the head might help her, thus delaying my actions. Luckily, I'm traveling with someone with quick thinking.

No comments: