Monday, July 09, 2012

Summer sports update

  1. Wimbledon - I've said it before again and again, but no one does it better.  While I hated playing tennis myself I love to watch it, and the fine British people of Wimbledon certainly know how to put on a great show.  I love the history.  I love the tradition.  I love the crowds of people that sit outside to enjoy it all.  To me Wimbledon is tennis.  I've been to the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, and while it is full of memories and memorabilia, I want to visit Wimbledon for everything that tennis was, is, and will be.
  2. Women's Final - Yeah for Serena Williams.  While she may not be the most gracious athlete, I love her for her determination and love of the game.  What she has accomplished since blood clots in her lung, foot surgeries and near death has been remarkable.  To add a 5th Wimbledon singles win to her trophy case after all of that.  Priceless!  She came out with sheer steel on her face, and while she faltered at one point, she rallied, put herself back together, and showed the world why she is the best in women's tennis.
  3. Men's Final - Oh, my, but how I do love me some Roger Federer!  He took the place of Andre Agassi in my heart after Agassi retired and he hasn't let me down since.  I love how peaceful he appears.  No tantrums.  No whining.  Just serenity, guts, determination, and the power to win.  The things he has done in tennis is phenomenal; 17 grand slam titles, 7 at Wimbledon alone.  Arguably one of the greatest athletes of all times.  I couldn't be happier for him. (And of course I know him through Twitter, people.  He even follows moi!)
  4. Andy Murray - I don't know much about Murray other than he resembles the other tennis Andy in whining and nonsense, but I left the match (figuratively) with a much better impression then I thought I would.  He had quite a bit of pressure on his back with being the first English (although he really is Scottish) male to reach the final in 74 years, and instead of lying down on the tennis court and letting Federer run all over him, he stepped up to the plate.  He took the first set and hung in there through three more giving Federer something more than an easy run.  And his tearing up at the end during his interview had me even tearing up.  I hope we see more of him in the finals in the coming years.
  5. NASCAR - Can't talk summer sports without the racing.  Yeah to Dale Earnhardt Jr. for his win a few weeks back.  Thrilled for him to get the monkey off his back by winning one after a drought of 143 win-less races.  And yesterday's Coke Zero 400 was just nuts there in the end with several drivers getting in wrecks that pushed them out of the winner's circle, including Earnhardt Jr.  Tony Stewart, the winner in that race, said he pretty much won by avoiding ending up in the wreckage.
  6. Tampa Bay Rays - Started out with a bang and has now hit the wall before the break with several players out hurt.  Sound familiar?  Welcome to the Tampa Bay Rays.  With a 164 million games to play during the season I just don't get fired up by the losing, the injuries, the turmoil.  Eventually the injured will return.  Eventually the bull pen will start pitching correctly.  Eventually they will start winning in time to make the playoffs.  I hope.
  7. NBA - I just have to talk about all the trades that have happened in the last few hours.  My least favorite?  Steve Nash leaving the Phoenix Suns to play for the L.A. Lakers.  I love Nash and thought the Suns were a good fit for him.  Now he will play for the Suns' rival.  Let's hope he doesn't start wearing name brand clothes, classy shades, and tons of jewelry around his neck.  I like the "golly gee" Nash best.  Lots of trading going on in the pro basketball world.  Jason Kidd to the Knicks?  Ray Allen leaving the Celtics to join the Heat?  Only one not traded is still grouchy, whining Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic who wants to be traded so badly he might just buy his own team.
  8. LeBron James - And another Kudos to the big man, LeBron for finally winning his championship!  I like King James.  I always have.  Yes, yes, he was stupid for the whole press conference TV thing when he left Ohio, but he was given bad advice.  He is still a nice, respectful, young man on and off the field and I respect that.  I also think he is the best.  Now he has proven it.  First time I've watched the playoffs and finals in years.
  9. Mike Wallace - The wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers is still refusing to join his teammates in workouts until he has a trillion dollar contract, which the Steelers are not planning on paying.  Wallace, who can certainly run like the wind down the field leaving all others in his dust, believes he deserves a long term contract worth tons of money.  He is to receive 2.7 million this season if he signs his restricted free-agent tender, but Wallace believes he is worth more.  So he isn't coming to work.  Legally he can do this up until November 13 at which time his money drops considerably.  Look, I get it, but you aren't the only team member and you certainly aren't the only wide receiver the Steelers have who can catch the damn ball.  The thing that really gets me in this whole situation is that the Steelers cut loose Hines Ward because they had so many young'ens in the position.  Get to work and let your lawyers do the talking.  You have an obligation to your teammates, your owners, and your fans, and by not going to work?  You're really hurting yourself in the long run.
  10. Adrian Peterson - Another NFL player arrested?  This time Minnesota Vikings Peterson for refusing to leave a bar.  This is starting to get old.  Can't these guys party at home in their mansions?
  11. More Saints woes - I'm suppose to feel bad for suspended coach Sean Payton now that he has lost his wife too?  She filed for divorce recently and one blogger was boo hooing poor Payton's rotten life.  Uh, and who is responsible for all the woes that are falling down around him?  He should have been doing his job of leading a respectable team instead of a bunch of defensive killers for hire.  Want to redeem yourself?  Come back stronger and better next year and look into some therapy on this off season.
  12. Tour de France - I only know about this race because of my husband.  When we were dating he actually took his bike to France and followed the tour around the country for two weeks.  I'm a Lance, no I do not believe he did drugs, Armstrong fan so I feel very out of the loop with this years' crop of buff bodied, sweaty men.  But I'd admire their determination.
  13. The Olympics - Can;t wait.  Love them.  So looking forward to watching and cheering with my family.  And they are in London.  My favorite city that I've never been to, but plan on getting to someday.  Yeah!

No comments: