Friday, January 11, 2013

I am truly sick

I have been under the weather the past week with fatigue, nasal drip, sore throat and a cough. While I didn't have a fever I had days of just plain not feeling well. I have had this sinus issue before, and believe it or not, I think it has to do with inhaling cleaning solutions. I have discussed this with a medical doctor, who agreed it could be a true statement. He did, however refuse to write me a script for a maid.

The first day it started with a cough, and after cleaning my kitchen floor with a vinegar and water solution the post nasal drip started. I didn't sleep that night at all, but it was still vacation so when I finally did fall asleep in the early morning hours I could sleep late. I got online and researched my dripping and found the usual remedies including nasal sprays, antihistamines, and Sud-afed. The second night I took some Tylenol Cough and Cold medicine I had in my cabinet and while I didn't sleep great I at least did sleep some, but the next night the Tylenol didn't do anything, and I didn't sleep a wink. The dripping down the back of my throat was like a faucet which in turn made my throat sore and caused me to hack. By the fifth day I was a walking zombie with dark circles under my eyes and a cranky disposition. I desperately needed sleep and decided what I needed was good ole Sudafed with pseudoephedrine that would knock me out for several hours while the girls were in school. In the old days I use to take Dimetapp liquid, but since-the-hiding-behind-the-counter-sell-your-soul-for-pseudoephedrine days I haven't been able to find Dimetapp so I decided Sudafed would put me out of my misery for awhile.

I dropped off Darcy in the early morning at school, made a hurried grocery run, which did nothing but tire me out and run me down, so that by the time I got to the corner of happy and healthly I wasn't walking in a straight line. The weather was chilly so I was bundled up in my black sweat pants, shirt, and was topping it all off with a black sweater three times my normal size that I love to wrap around me like I'm a freezing homeless person on the streets. I went into Walgreens and shuffled my way to the cold and flu aisle, passing the chirpy, bright-eyed cosmetic girl who sang out, "Good Morning!" to me as I snuffled into the Kleenex held tightly in my fist.

I started perusing the cold section looking for any of the medicines I had goggled, but not really finding the ingredients I wanted, I made my way to the pharmacy. There was a line and I stood behind a gentlemen who was next in line behind the two people being taken care of at the counter. There was a woman picking up medications for someone else who didn't have answers to the pharmacist's questions and much computer tapping was happening. There was a young man giving out insurance information and more computer tapping as the girl tech plugged it all into the computer. Outside the drive up lane was filling up with cars.

I peered over the gentleman in line trying to read all of the different medications on the shelf behind the counter. It annoyed me that I couldn't read the labels. How was I suppose to know which one was best for me? I moved from one leg to the other while I waited as if rocking a baby on my hip. I squinted some more at the shelf. I wiped my nose and sniffled loudly. I tried to remember the combination of drugs goggle had recommended, but not being able to see made me more antsy. The pharmacist looked up at me and stared a second too long, and suddenly I felt like a drug addict. I left the line and shuffled back to the cold aisle to study more medications.

I walked up the aisle, picking up cherry flavored cough syrup and reading the label. I studied the allergy medications. I contemplated a humidifier for $75. Finally, irritated, I made my way back to the pharmacy line where the woman picking up someone else's medications was still dealing with the pharmacist. The other tech behind the counter was at the drive through lane. I stood behind another man and smiled at another man who was sitting in the waiting chairs. I made eye contact with him as if to say, "Are you next in line or waiting for a prescription?" but he scowled at me and gave a disgusted shake of his head which I read as "damn junkie." I peered again at the medications on the shelf rehearsing in my head how I would ask for it. Aren't they suppose to help sick people instead of judging them? I wondered in my head. Shouldn't I be able to give him my symptoms and he suggest a medication? But no. What if he steered me away from the pseudoephedrine? Dammit that's what I wanted! I stood up straighter and tried not to look so desperate.

The woman finally got the prescriptions and left. The tall Asian pharmacist waited on the man in front of me as the girl tech finished in the drive thru lane. Oh good, I was going to get her instead of the pharmacist. She looked at me and moved away from the counter disappearing behind the mysterious aisles of bottles and potions as the man finished his purchase. The pharmacist looked at me. I moved to the counter and peered up at the medications I wanted.

Me: "I think." I cleared my throat. "I think I need something." He waited, looking me over. "I think I need some Sudafed."
Him: "Do you have ID?" He didn't move to get the pills.
Me: "Yes." I dug around in my purse for my wallet while he watched. I wanted to shout, " Take a picture it lasts longer, get me the damn drugs!" I quietly pulled out my drivers license instead. "I don't think I need the 24 hours." I smiled at him. "I just need some sleep." Suddenly a cough bubbled its way to the surface and I had to turn from him to take care of it. It was a good cough, and when I got done hacking I turned back and smiled at him as if to say, "See."

He went to the shelf and pulled down, not the Sudafed that I asked for, but the Walgreens brand, Wal-afed, and looked at me as if daring me to complain. I didn't. I smiled and sniffled, took out my Kleenex for good measure and swiped at my nose. He rang me up and I grabbed the package and practically started running toward the front of the store and the exit before I remembered there were cameras. I slowed my pace and nonchalantly acted like I was interested in the various Holiday items discounted in bins in the middle of the aisle. I smiled at the cosmetic girl who kept her head down. I left the store, wanting to peer into my bag, but not daring. Did I not say Sudafed? Did I look like I needed to save two dollars? I got in my car and slowly drove away from the corner of happy and healthy, not feeling either one. See what these crazed druggies have done to normal sick people?

Side Note - The Wal-afed was the non- drowsy kind. It cleared up the drip, but dried out my throat so much I ended up coughing every twenty minutes all night long. Tom slept through it all. The next day I went to the grocery store and bought a bottle of NyQuil cough. That puppy did the trick, and I slept like a baby for two nights. I'm hoping tonight I'll sleep with nothing in my system and be truly on the mend.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hoping your feeling better today...I wish I did:( I'm so sick! Wish we lived closer so we could help each other!