Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday football recap and more

  • Entered

Favorite
Favorite Win
Versus
Underdog Win
Underdog
Status Points

San Francisco vs @AtlantaCorrectSF 28, Atl 241

@New England vs BaltimoreCorrectBal 28, NE 131
Bold = Winning Team Total Points 2

Here is my Yahoo fantasy pick'em page from the playoffs for those who might not have believed me when I say I picked the right teams this week.  Now I'm going to have to cheer for Baltimore to beat the 49ers so that they don't tie the Steelers with a sixth ring.  Do you know how hard that will be?  To cheer for a team that hates my beloved team?  To cheer for a team whose coach has an unnatural hatred for my Steelers and uses that hatred to spur on his Ravens any chance he can get.  Ah, I might have to cheer for the 49ers after all.  There is always more room at the top.

San Fran/Atlanta game - Good to the very end.  Atlanta played better than I expected shutting out the 49ers in the first quarter.  They kept up the offense in the second quarter, but allowed the 49ers to score their own two touchdowns.  I knew going into that locker room that Jim Harbaugh would give the speech of a lifetime to fire up those players, and they came out on to that field ready to play shutting out the Falcons the entire half to take the win.

Matt Ryan - He made two mistakes that will haunt his sleep for some time, despite the 49ers not scoring points on either of them.  But it did cost the Falcons scores and that was the difference as I saw it.  You can't go into a playoff game and throw to the wrong team or fumble the ball.  Just ask Peyton Manning.

Colin Kaepernick - He just keeps making coach Harbaugh look better and better doesn't he?  I thought not letting him run (unless necessary) was brilliant as it opened up the line for the running backs.  The Falcons defense was so focused on stopping his run that they were too confused when he didn't even try.  It will be a different ballgame in New Orleans and the Ravens won't be so confused.  Should be a good one.

Super Bro-wl - I stole that from our newspaper, but I do want to point out that I called this Super Bowl back in October here.  Cara knows football.  Or she likes to think she does.  Will be fun for the media to have something more to add to the festivities.  Should be interesting as I've seen these two scream, yell, and jump around in heated competition.  

Ravens Defense - The thing about Tom Brady is he hates to lose and he hates to be trifled with.  The Ravens defense was better yesterday and they kept him off guard, and when Brady is off guard he starts to get frustrated like a little boy.  It is easy then to slide in and destroy him.  He has worked on that in the latter years, but he didn't do such a good job yesterday once he realized he wasn't getting the job done.  Easy then for the Ravens to take advantage.

Joe Flacco - The Steelers and the Ravens have a rivalry that is ugly, and I dislike the way the Ravens staff and some of the players exasperate that rivalry.  That being said I have got to give kudos to the way quarterback Flacco has played these past two years, especially his play in the latter part of this season.  He is fast becoming a household name outside of Baltimore and holding his own, especially in the pocket.

SNL - Hilarious opening skit on Lance Armstrong and Manti Te'o Saturday night on SNL.  You knew someone was going to run with it and SNL does it very well.

Basketball - Now that football is down to one last game I have got to get into college basketball which is full of excitement with various teams doing some good bball stuff.  Both Indiana teams in Butler and Indiana are ranked in the top ten.  I can't see a lot of their games locally, but I can follow along on the computer so I'm going to have to switch sports in my mind and get back to my heritage.


No comments: