Sunday, February 03, 2013

Super Bowl pick & more

San Fransisco vs. Baltimore - Steelers fans do not have a team to root for in this game.  We don't want the 49ers to win because then they will tie us for most Super Bowl wins at 6 apiece.  We don't want the Ravens to win because they are our mortal enemy.  That is what I keep reading at least in many of the papers and online sites.  I'm not disagreeing with any of that.  I've made my pick.  I'm going with the underdogs.  I think the game will be close and exciting, and I think the elder brother won't want to get beat by the younger brother.

I'm also hoping that if the underdogs win then it will motivate my Steelers team to want to win even more next year.  I'm hoping.  Because I have to hope that something will turn them around by next year.

Harbaugh vs Harbaugh - The question on the media's mind is who will the parents be rooting for?  I'm sure the Harbaughs, Jack and Jackie, are really tired of that question.  My favorite was John Harbaugh calling in to a radio show that was interviewing his parents and sister.  He called in anonymously, only as "John from Baltimore", and he asked, "Is it true both of you liked Jim better than John?"  His sister recognized the voice so the question wasn't answered, but it reminded me of my own rivalry with my brother.  I loved it.

Super Bowl outdoors - Next year the big game will be played outdoors and everyone has an opinion.  I guess I don't have an opinion, after debating the issue myself, because seriously I wouldn't be at a game because I couldn't afford it (the Steelers played here in my own town for god's sake).  Having been to a Steelers game now in Pittsburgh, I would not want to let that opportunity pass me by again, but price will always be a factor.  I hate the cold so I would prefer somewhere warm.  I'm sure the players would prefer somewhere warm.  That being said, I think that all stadiums should have a chance to host the big game and a lot of stadiums are outside in the cold.  Good football weather I'm told.

Deer Antler Spray - Oh, my.  Who knew what important stuff was inside the antler of deer?  Did Ray Lewis use the banned substance or not to help him in his recovery from a torn triceps?  According to a Sports Illustrated article, Mitch Ross, from the company SWATS, said he supplied the Ravens linebacker with the spray.  Then Ross showed up at the Super Bowl festivities this week and said he never saw Lewis take the stuff.  Ray Lewis himself says he never did anything wrong and has never tested positive for a banned substance.  Yeah, Ray, neither did Lance Armstrong and look how that all turned out.  My question, as always, is what the hell was this Ross guy thinking talking to Sports Illustrated about his clients?  Obviously, he wanted to get the company name out there even if it brought negative attention, but seriously, has he met Ray Lewis in person?  Dude scares me on television, and hey, Mitch, he got away with killing once before.  Shut your mouth.

Inside/outside - The big whining from some fans and players was that the 49ers got to practice inside the dome in New Orleans while the Ravens were relegated to the outdoor practice facility at Tulane University.  My understanding is that the facility this year was home to the NFC and they got to practice there while the AFC team had to go elsewhere.  Eventually the Ravens ended up inside the stadium after the two brother coaches worked it out.  Personally, I think being outside just pissed the Ravens off more, and Jim made a smart move allowing them back indoors.

49ers gay remarks - Chris Culliver, the San Francisco cornerback mouthed off on media day saying he wouldn't welcome a gay teammate and if someone was gay they should get off the team.  Seriously?  Does this man not know what city he works for and lives in?  He was definitely asked a stupid question by the media, but do these guys not know how to respond?  Maybe Roger Goodell should make it mandatory for all players to go through training on how to act like a human being and how to face the media. 

Hall of Fame - A HUGE shout out to our Florida boy Warren Sapp for his induction into the Hall of Fame on his first try.  I watched him on the NFL Network and he couldn't have been classier saying he was part of a team and giving shouts to his defensive boys Derrick Brooks, Johnny Lynch,  Ronde Barber, and his roommate Hardy Nickerson.  Sapp was my kind of guy in that he fired up not only the fans, but his team.  He motivated them with his speeches and his play and he was a huge reason, along with those he mentioned, who stuck by the Tampa Bay team and help bring home the Super Bowl trophy.

No comments: