Friday, March 27, 2015

She said what? and more tidbits of my IN visitors

My friend Robin is down visiting with two other women, Stephanie and Karen. The four of us met yesterday morning for breakfast and a day at the beach. While we were sipping our coffee and waiting for our orders of creme brulee and bananas foster french toast Robin talked about her insomnia. (We also talked about our ailments and our medications. Ah, women over the age of 50).

Robin: "I had it again last night. I don't know why. I mean I had it the first night we were here too."

Me: "Well, that was probably because of the long drive down here."

Robin: "That's what I thought; the drive down was long and tiring, but I don't know what the problem was last night."

Karen: "Well, what were you thinking about?"

Robin: "Nothing. I put my earplugs in."

*****

Me: "Could we please have some more creamer? I like a little coffee with my creamer."

Waitress: "Absolutely. I know how that is."

Robin: "And could you bring some more French Vanilla if you have it? I don't like the Hazelnut. It tastes like old people." 

*****

The women are staying at The Condo. One evening while visiting my house they asked me if there was a pitcher in the kitchen of The Condo because they wanted to make some iced tea. They had looked, but hadn't found one. I nodded and told them that yes there were a couple of pitchers there in the top of one of the cabinets. 

Now my mother had the kitchen gutted and redone several years ago and when she did this she had cabinets put in that go all the way to the ceiling. The only way she could reach the top shelf comfortably was to stand on a little foot stool that she kept in the kitchen. Robin looked at me and started laughing. There is no way she could reach the top cabinet even standing on the stool.

I knew this as soon as I mentioned the stool, but then I turned to the other two women to tell them that they could use the stool to get the pitcher and suddenly I knew why Robin was laughing. All three of these women are short. I'm a giant next to them. I'm not sure they could reach the top of the cabinet even standing on the counter. 

Karen: "Yep. I had to use your mother's grabber just to turn on the ceiling fan."

*****

Yesterday the girls decided to take a three hour boat ride off the causeway. Robin parked her Camry in the sand and when the ride was over and it was time to leave she discovered she was stuck in the sand. Deep. She attempted to get free with the other two pushing the car from the front. No go. Stuck. Robin looked around and noticed several men standing around watching them, whispering to one another. She put Stephanie in the driver's seat and she and Karen tackled the pushing. There were several minutes of inactivity when Stephanie worried she was going to accidentally run over the two in the front, but after some minor seat adjustments and confidence she put the car in reverse. Robin and Karen pushed with all of their might and POP out came the Camry and all was well.

Robin told me she looked over at the men, threw her arms up in the air, and shouted, "That's how Indiana women get the job done!" She was quite proud of that. I was disappointed I hadn't been there to take pictures.





1 comment:

Susan said...

I love it! Great post!