Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Wednesday's wonderings

Let's take a look at what I've learned this past week:

  1. Types of burgundy wines - One of the recipes I want to make this week called for burgundy wine. I searched up and down the wine aisle for this and when I couldn't find it I turned to the internet. It is a wine made in the Burgundy region of France (yet not stocked in the French wine section of Publix) and actually refers to two types of grape varieties pinot noir and chardonnay. Unfortunately for me, I found a small section in the grocery where "burgundy" was sold before this information downloaded. All of the bottles were huge so now I have a big bottle of this generic termed wine when I could have just purchased a pinot noir. Perhaps a wine class might be in my future.
  2. 15 uses for coffee grounds - My friend sent me this link in a text. I'm not sure why she thought it was useful. Mostly it kept repeating the same usages in different ways. I learned that apparently used coffee grounds are good for your complexion and your hair as well as a nice cleaner for your garbage disposal.
  3. CSS financial aid form - Madison announced on Saturday that this form needed to be filled out by the next day. I had no idea what this was seeing as how we had filled out two other required financial forms so I Googled it. It is another form required by certain colleges, three of those colleges Madison applied to. The form was a lot of work and very detailed and by the time we were done with it we felt naked. Your life is not a secret once you finish applying for your kid to go to college.
  4. Eating scorpions - A contestant on Survivor ate a scorpion in last week's episode and while he was clutching his stomach and moaning I had to search to see if this was something people did. I didn't find much in regards to this being a smart idea, but I did find that apparently it isn't deadly if you remove the stinger first (which the contestant did do).
  5. The Dress - Yep. We were hung up on this phenomenon like the rest of the world. I had seen it on Facebook, but hadn't bothered to open the article. It didn't look like anything I would be interested in reading when it said, "What Color is this Dress?" There was a small picture of part of the dress and I it looked beige and tan to me and ugly as sin. Later when Maddy showed me a picture of the entire dress and asked the same question of me I saw blue and black. I saw it as almost a purple blue and a lighter black color. We ended up spending quite a few hours on this topic on Friday and I eventually had to look up an explanation as to why Madison, Tom, and Kelly were so colorblind. It was very complicated and had to do with the eye and light and filtering and frankly, I just left it as I always do. I'm right and they are wrong.

No comments: