Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wednesdays wonderings

And this week I was interested in researching...
  1. Thomas Sanders - Since embracing the social media craze I have become interested in Vine, the app that records 6 minutes of video. One of the major Viners that has taken social media by storm is Thomas Sanders (foster_dawg on Twitter/Instagram). He was recently on The View, and I felt like a proud parent when I watched him. He is from Florida, and his Vine's are hilarious and quite creative. I believe he attends the University of Florida and so I Googled him to acquire more information (stalking my daughter calls it). I mean if he does attend there then I think UF might just move up in the rankings of colleges my daughter will attend next year, no?
  2. Amanuensis & Brougham - I read a book, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and came across some new words. In my younger days I would have a) asked my mother the meaning or b) continued on none the wiser because looking up a word took effort. But that was then and this is now and now I look up words because the answer is always at my fingertips. Amanuensis means one employed to write from dictation or to copy manuscript. Brougham is a four-wheeled boxlike, closed carriage for two or four persons having the driver's perch outside.
  3. Mogo - This word popped up in a new game app that Madison got me playing called Say the Same Thing. In this game you give a word and your opponent gives a word and you each keep giving words that have to do with each word previously stated until you both say the same word. I'm playing a stranger and his word was Mogo. My word was Earth. I didn't know his word and so I looked it up. Mogo is a fictional character and planet in the DC Universe. We have yet to say the same word.
  4. Raffle Tickets - In "where to purchase them" as I am helping out with a talent show at school and apparently I volunteered to get these. I have no memory of raising my hand and stepping forward, but lately, it seems I do this all the time. Apparently unconsciously. I have decided to make my own as Walmart sells a template for printing.
  5. Francophile - This word popped up in the book, The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. It is the book that the new television show is based on and I was curious. Francophile, which sounds dirty when said aloud, is a person who is fond of or greatly admires France. The book is very good, by the way.

No comments: