Thursday, August 09, 2018

Capturing him to a T

Every Thursday morning I have breakfast with my friend Jim. I've known him since our daughters were in preschool together, and despite our age difference, we're good buddies. He's old school. I'm new school. He doesn't own a computer. I have so many he rolls his eyes.

He calls me kid. Who wouldn't like that at my age?


He's different. There is no other way of saying that, but if I want someone in a time of need, that man will be there. I know that with certainty.

He's always reminded me of my dad. They share many the same characteristics; a love of gab, strong opinions, and a willingness to listen to the other side, a quirky sense of humor, love, and loyalty to family. He's a rare gem in this crazy world, and most people don't take the time to appreciate the good side of this man. I consider that their loss.


He's had a tough couple of years. His wife left him. His daughter went off to college. He's had to sell off some of his beloved fossil collection to plan for the future. At his age, these changes can stop a man cold, yet Jim keeps truckin', pulling himself out of bed each morning, finding things to do outside his house, and eating out occasionally so that he can interact with people.

Tomorrow, the movie Meg opens in theaters nationwide. Jim's been looking forward to this for months. It's a shark movie based on the book by the same name, and by the author, Steve Alten, a man Jim calls a friend. He met the author years ago while working in South Florida at the Shark Tooth Festival. The author obviously got a kick out of talking with Jim because he put him in his next book, a sequel to the shark tale. Jim has a signed copy of the book jacket hanging in his fossil museum on his property.


In his enthusiasm for the upcoming movie, he called our local paper and offered to put a reporter in touch with the author of Meg. Instead, the reporter traveled to Jim's house and spent a couple of days interviewing him. The article came out online this week, and I wanted to share it. Especially for those readers who know my friend. The reporter nailed it. He got Jim, and all that Jim is, and I cried when I read it because he deserves everything good that comes his way, and this article is all that. I emailed the reporter to thank him.

You can read it HERE. If you ever come to visit me, I'll take you to visit the museum, albeit smaller than the original, and Jim will happily take you through it as he talks your ear off. You'll come away exhausted, but I promise you it will be worth it.

No comments: