Thursday, December 13, 2018

I need a new brain

When I first began blogging it was to keep the family updated on my children's' antics because I just knew that everyone wanted to stay abreast of everything that my children did, ate, said, etc. Plus, it made me write, which in turn gave my mother the feeling that maybe, just maybe, all that money she spent on my education wasn't a waste after all. Now I blog so that I can remember things. Seriously, my brain is not as spot-on as it used to be in terms of memory, and if it weren't for the results of my DNA test that I took years ago telling me I don't have the markers for late-onset Alzheimers I might be more concerned.

Yesterday, while sipping my morning coffee next to my Christmas tree bemoaning the fact that I should be exercising, I checked my email. In there was an email from two days ago asking for a website of someone I had recommended for a job. I had opened it the morning it was sent, but I had done that from my phone and didn't have that information at hand. Now, however, that information was at my desk and after an argument with myself that went something like this:

Me: "Ugh. This means I'll have to get up and go into my office."
Me: "You just said you needed exercise."
Me: "I meant real exercise, not going to my desk. I'm so comfortable right now."
Me: "You're fat and you'll never answer this email."
Me: "I'll text him and ask him for his URL."
Me: "That's pitiful."
Me: "Okay, okay, you're right."

I go up off the couch and went to my desk. Where I promptly forgot my original purpose because once at my desk I remembered that I had to pay a bill that was due that day. That led to me contemplating a phone call in regards to said bill, and I was debating the earliness of a phone call, and then my eyes spotted my mail from the previous week. In that stack were two new credit cards so I opened them and began the long process of authorizing them. That led to the discovery of my home phone not working which led to a text to the husband informing him of this oddity and asking if he'd done away with the home phone.

This has long been a tug and war. He wants to get rid of the home phone and I want to keep it. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd gotten rid of it weeks ago and not told me. He would justify this by telling me I'd never even noticed so I sat for several minutes trying to remember the last time I'd used the damn home phone. And that had me thinking maybe he was right, but then that thought led to me wondering if I wanted to admit that, and I sat at the desk drumming my fingers while I thought through all the ramifications. The drumming reminded me that I had a drum lesson that day and needed to practice.

At this point, I felt a tad overwhelmed and thought I should make a list of what I needed to do. Luckily, I keep a cube of paper right in front of my keyboard for such emergencies. That thing is a lifesaver. I love that thing. Of course, I have pages of paper all over my desk from this thing, but it is SO worth it.



I began my list and remembered the bill I needed to pay--and the phone call. I texted instead and went back to authorizing the credit cards via computer. Which is now a thing. Probably because people no longer have a home phone--except for me, and mine doesn't work. 

I finished that task and remembered my coffee. I went to get it and noticed that the ghost in our house had reclined the sofa. That's been a thing for months now, and Tom has asked me to call the furniture store to deal with this electronic failure, and I forget. Since I was on a roll, I headed back to the office and did just that. The nice lady asked for my phone number, and I gave her the house number. Nope. I gave her my cell. Nope. It was under Tom's cell. She said I should hear something within the month. Really? 

I went through the rest of the mail and dealt with each new thing that cropped up. Then the doorbell rang. It was my neighbor bringing our Christmas gifts. On the 12th of December!! This caused some panic, and I made a mental note to go over my Christmas list, which reminded me I needed stamps for the Christmas cards that I actually did this year. We chatted for half an hour (with me still in my pajamas), and then I sent her on her way because I needed to send an email with a website!! That's how I remembered my original intent at 8:30 in the morning. It was now 11:30. 

It got sent. The husband answered my text and told me to reset some blue box by the cable stuff in the corner of the office. I got that text while on the phone dealing with the bill I needed to pay. Of course, I promptly forgot his text. 

By the time I ended that phone call, it was time to practice my drums. When I finished practicing, it was time to go to the lesson, and from there, I was out and about dealing with other things like grocery shopping and picking up a kid at the bus stop and dropping her off at home.
It wasn't until later that night that I remembered the home phone. I sent Darcy into the blue box. She returned to tell me there wasn't a blue box. I forgot about it again.

At almost midnight, I told the hubby I had never reset the box.

Tom: "How hard is that? You just reset the box."

Me: "I forgot."

Tom: "How could you forget that? I texted it to you. If you do it right then, you won't forget."

Yeah, buddy, I get it, but you--you don't understand. 

It turns out the blue box was black, which was the reason why Darcy had trouble. 

And FYI--while writing this blog entry, after the first two sentences, I forgot what I wanted to write about, which is how this entry got written on forgetfulness. 

I picked up the phone, sure Tom had never tested it after resetting the box. Yep. Still not working.

I hope I remember to mention that when I head back to the living room. Oh, and I remembered what I wanted to write about. That'll be tomorrow's entry. 

If I remember.

No comments: