Saturday, November 09, 2019

Pictures and memories - Pennsylvania house






This was our house in Pennsylvania. I have 1965 as the year it was built, so the date must've been on a slide or picture. My parents built the house. Before that, we rented a home in the same neighborhood or close by. At least, that is the story I remember.


I'm not sure if that is the house above, but I'm guessing it was the rental. I don't think we moved into the built house until 1966, but that is a guess from pictures. 

I have few memories of the house. I don't remember my bedroom at all except that the window faced the front of the house. I remember looking out that window and watching my friend Kim walk away after knocking on the front door to see if I could play. I couldn't. I was being punished or something and was supposed to be taking a nap.


I remember the upstairs bathroom. It was pink. I remember the family room, the dining room, the living room, and I have a vague memory of the basement and kitchen. Also, the king-size bed in my parent's bedroom. My mother had a red velvet spread with matching pillows on the bed. Very royal-like. The red velvet spread made all of the moves with us, but she never used it after we left Pennsylvania. I remember her in that bed when she got violently sick from eating mushrooms, and the doctor made a house call to care for her. I think that's why I don't like or eat mushrooms to this day. 



There was a neighborhood park built behind our houses. I recall my mother telling us the neighbors had it built. I remember riding one of those animals on a spring where you rock back and forth. I had broken my collar bone and wore a sling. I remember taking it off so that I could use my arm. My mother caught me. She whistled--the woman had the loudest whistle that could be heard for miles, I'm not kidding--and she yelled at me to put it back on. The park is still there.


I remember once playing with a friend of ours, Peter. He and his mom were at our house, and he and I were in the family room. I was going through some stuff on a table, and there was a mask on it leftover from Halloween. I put it on and roared, forgetting that Peter was deathly afraid of that holiday. I remember going into the bathroom under the pretense of having to use the toilet, but really, I went in there to cry because I felt so bad for scaring him and making him cry. I can still remember that filling in the pit of my stomach for causing harm to someone else. A lesson learned.

My dad planted flowers at that house. Apparently, he loved to be outside planting. That is weird to me because I don't remember him doing that in Indiana. He'd putter around outside, but we never had the flowers there that we did in Pennsylvania. I know that living there was the best time of my mom's life. I wonder now if it had also been my dad's. I think when you build a property, you do so with forever in your mind. A good piece of that house was in both my parents' minds always, I think.






In 1967, my mother designed and built her pool. The shallow end was two feet deep for teaching, and it was ten feet at the deep end. The sides of the pool were corrugated aluminum. We had a deck, and then outside the pool, we had this little patio outside our living room sliding doors. 






My parents threw a lot of adult parties and family parties. We always had the neighborhood kids over to swim. I have a lot of memories in that pool. It was a great pool. I had these colored dive rings--much thicker and sturdier than those you find today--and I could dive and get all ten rings all over the pool without taking a breath. My dad would have me perform that for visitors. It was the first time I learned that accomplishing something could make my parents proud. I also remember worrying that I would fail in that endeavor and let my dad down. I had those rings until this year when my husband threw them out without my knowledge.








My mother was a swimming instructor, and she started a swimming business in our backyard. All the neighborhood kids learned to swim in that pool. She had over one hundred students and threw a big graduation celebration at the end and made her own certificates. It was the most significant time of her life. She resented moving and giving up her business. She never got over that. 





We had big neighborhood birthday parties. I only remember my sixth birthday. We played games in the basement--London bridges, musical chairs--and I remember being upset when I lost. I mean, really, it was my BIRTHDAY. Luckily for me, my dad captured that moment.







We moved the summer of 1970 because my dad got transferred to North Carolina for his job. I actually remember saying good-bye to everyone, then driving down the road. I looked out the window at everyone and waved and waved until we made the turn, and I couldn't see them anymore. Then I cried.

I used to wonder how different our lives would've been had we stayed in Pennsylvania. Usually, when I got down in the dumps. I'm fortunate that our family stayed in touch with our next-door neighbors. Over fifty years!

It was an excellent beginning to my life. I'm grateful for the memories and friendships. And that pool. It led to a great career in the aquatic industry, where I made even more memories and friendships. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a dream life- easy to understand why Connie had a difficult time getting over leaving that place! The corrugated tin pool blows my mind- who knew?