Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscar Buzz

Sunday night I watched the Oscars. I haven't really watched them in a while because A) I've usually never seen the movies that are nominated and B) the show is too long and too boring. This year I watched because I was pulling for Slumdog Millionaire, a movie I actually saw and truly loved, and I was all caught up in the Mickey Rourke hype.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I loved Hugh Jackman's opening number and was thrilled with Anne Hathaway's performance. I was clapping like I was there when she belted out her part. I also enjoyed seeing the five past award winners coming out on stage and paying tribute to this year's nominees. I wondered if they had written what they were saying, which would have made it more meaningful if they had, but I thought it was a nice touch for both past and present. Apparently, I am in the minority.

Everything I have read the past two days has been mostly negative regarding this year's Oscar show, and everyone hated those five alumni. I don't get it. Our television newspaper critic had an article today that gave his suggestions for fixing the show. It took up almost an entire page and really wasn't helpful, in my opinion. I've decided to respond to all this whining. The following is some of the criticisms that annoyed me.
  • Winners were too predictable. Really? Rocky winning Best Picture back in 1976? Only people that saw that coming were the fans who loved the movie. I suggest you throw in some other nominees that the other shows haven't honored if you think the SAG and Golden Globes are spoiling your fun.
  • Oscars lack diversity. Most of Slumdog Millionaire's winners were not even Indian. Are you kidding me? You want movies about other countries to be produced, written and acted by people in that same country? Too bad for Indian directors and producers for not finding Vikas Swarup's book and realizing the potential. Kudos to Danny Boyle for doing so and for using real Indian children (not actors) in the movie. If you want diversity try opening up more nominated movie categories such as Best Comedy Picture and Best Musical to go along with Best Animated.
  • The show is too long. Okay, this one I agree with. The Oscars are always long. I suggest you give out the boring awards that viewers at home usually don't care about (sound editing, costume design, set design, etc) before the show goes on air. That would cut out an hour right there and open up time for more entertaining numbers. All the presenters, nominees, guests, etc. show up and do the red carpet, go inside and mingle with cocktails and appetizers while you give out those awards. Then an hour later start the televised show. The Kodak theater audience will be happier with liquor and food in their bellies and the viewing audience will be glad to not have to sit through endless speeches from people we've never seen.
  • Hated the five past winners complimenting the nominees. You like someone reading the names of the nominees and seeing a clip of their acting in the movie? Usually the same clip we see over and over again throughout the night. Yeah, that is entertaining. How nice was it seeing Goldie Hawn and Robert De niro? How funny was Cuba Gooding Jr.'s little speech to Robert Downey Jr.? Lighten up, folks!

1 comment:

K Anne said...

I am pleased to see you taking an interest in the Oscars. I am usually the only one who gets excited about them, and this year I was not excited at all, having not seen a single nominated picture, except Wall-E. I agree with your comment on the 5 past winners. Loved that. Liked Hugh Jackman. I think sound editing and sound mixing should be part of the Science and Technical awards ceremony which is not broadcast.