Friday, February 27, 2009

Trying to get the worm

Today was the first day I have been able to drive and take my children to school in the morning. Because I have gotten behind in a few things I decided that I would drop off the kids and get cracking on getting my errands done. The following are some of the interesting tidbits that happened to me all before 9:30 AM.
  • Each morning on the way to and from school I like to listen to a local radio station duo, Big D and Bubba. They are quite hysterical and start my day off right. Usually, they have a question that they ask and put out to the listening audience who then calls in with answers. Today's question was, What is the one thing that you do that no one knows about? The two best answers I liked: "I iron my undergarments." and "I like to go to cemeteries and lie down in the holes they dig for dead people."
  • I needed to run into Target to get a gift card or a gift for my niece's birthday (which I missed 4 days ago) and somehow ended up in the woman's clothing section. While searching through the clearance rack I kept hearing this woman yell, "Emmanuel!" There would be silence and then she would say it loudly again, followed by the mocking tone of her younger daughter berating her brother. There was nothing panicked about the tone. It was more of an "Emmanuel, get your ass over here and quit horsing around." It was seriously driving me crazy, but as I made my way to the dressing room the tone changed and I noticed the woman was hurriedly walking up and down aisles. I went into the dressing room, which is run by the switchboard operator, and while looking at myself in the mirror wearing a $3.98 shirt I heard a voice over the walkie-talkie announcing that a child was missing. Immediately, more voices came over the talkie. "Negative in electronics." "Negative in toys." and then, "I have a small boy jumping on a trampoline." I listened as the first voice asked if the boy had a backpack. "No, no backpack, but he is wearing a brown shirt." Then the first voice with relief, "That's him." I looked at myself in the mirror and I was crying. Kudos to Target and its staff for their quick response.
  • While standing in the checkout line at the Dollar Store I noticed that they sold pregnancy tests. Really? Would you trust those results?
  • I treated myself to a Starbucks (I have loads of gift cards from the holidays) since I was so with it in getting my errands done. So not to burn my tongue I took off the lid, blew in the coffee, sipped some, closed the lid and left it to cool more while I hit the Dollar Store. I got back into the car, picked up my coffee, and took a sip. Of course, the lid was not properly back on and the coffee spilled all over my white shirt.

I think that I'm better off leaving this morning nonsense to the early birds. I don't really like worms anyhow.....

1 comment:

Susan said...

Are you sure you do not have a column in some newspaper somewhere?? Your posts are so funny and so interesting that when I open up my blog each day, I pray you have shared your stories with us all:) I am serious girl! Love to read your blog:)