Saturday, May 08, 2010

Friday excitement

About three weeks ago after picking up the kids from school and a quick trip to the library, I pulled into my street and started up the hill toward my house. This is the sight that greeted me as I got to the top.



My neighbor's house across the street (rental) was on fire. Black smoke was rolling out of the windows and doors and the air was full of that smoky odor you get after burning food. My next door neighbor, a retired fire fighter, had heard some yelling, gone outside, saw the smoke, called 911 and then had gone over and gotten the occupants out of the smoke filled house.

We sat in his garage and watched the proceedings. The fire started in the kitchen and spread to the attic, but the quick response from my firefighter neighbor made it possible to stop the fire before it got to the roof. The occupants were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.



We had fire trucks, captain's trucks, sheriff's cars, electric company vehicles, and ambulances all up and down the street. The road was blocked off and we couldn't enter or exit it. Luckily, the fire was put out quickly.

The house is still sitting empty with the windows open and the inside charred. Don't know what the plan is for the owner or the renters. It made for an exciting ending to the week, but I'm thankful that no one was hurt and the damage minimal.

No comments: