Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday....just some things

Tuesday

Eating healthier & Wii Fit - Every season I tell myself that I will now lose the weight that has accumulated after the births of my five children, but every season comes and goes without that weight dropping off. Summer has arrived and I'm trying to seriously make an effort so that when school starts in August all the teachers and parents will say, "Who is that slender woman?"

I started off by buying fruits and veggies and inventing new things to eat. Below is my newly famous spinach salad with loads of carrots and cucumbers. The secret to its deliciousness is a handful of sliced almonds and crunchy bacon. Which makes me wonder exactly how healthy is this salad?
And I don't even want to explore the nutrition value and calorie intake on the mango poppyseed dressing that adorns this wonderful concoction. The fact that it has spinach in it is enough for me to believe it is better than a sandwich with mayo, chips and salsa.


Having got myself eating better I turned to the Wii Fit Plus my husband got me for Christmas. I have never opened it because I asked for the Wii Personal Trainer as a gift. I had been going regularly to the gym and really wanted something to offset those days when the gym was too much trouble. I researched Wii's fitness games and found that the Personal Trainer was exactly what I needed. Unfortunately, when I speak my husband hears the ocean. This time he must have also heard Wii Fit Plus amongst the waves because this is what I received:


I planned to return it, but alas, without a receipt I gave in and the kids and I opened it this past weekend. It is chock full of activities designed to kill me. I lasted 27 minutes the first day and participated in a basic run which left me huffing and puffing and downing water. The next day my left knee and thigh were throbbing in misery. I usually do not run unless someone is chasing me as I have knee problems, but jeez, this is a game so I figured how bad could it be?

Bad enough that I had to opt out of training the next day so that I could recover. By the second time on the Wii Fit Plus I had gained weight. It asked me to give a reason for my weight gain and it listed several choices. None were bloating due to menstruation.

The third day I was alone with only the dog for my training. I tried the run again and this time I ran at a much slower pace. Obviously, because at the end it said I had exerted myself 58% compared to the 106% on the previous visit. No wonder my knee was hurting. I tried several new aerobic activities and managed 47 minutes.

I'm not sure that I'm getting much out of it, but it will be something to get me out of the chair and off the computer. I'm hoping to use it as a supplement to my gym visits. With the girls out of school for the summer it will be harder to make the gym, but I am determined. Stay tuned!

No comments: