Friday, January 07, 2011

I've discovered a gem...in my wrist

On Wednesday one of the lead Yahoo news stories was on colors.  What are your true colors? the headline screamed, and because that sort of nonsense interests me (and because I needed something to blog) I clicked on it and read how this beauty expert to the stars divides coloring into three categories:  sunset, sunrise, and sunlight.  Ignoring the other paragraphs,  I searched for how I could discover which category I was in and found that the answer lay in my veins. That's right.  Wrist veins determine your coloring.

I turned over my wrist to see what color my veins were.  That took a few moments because at first I couldn't see my veins.  They don't stand out, and so I had to make a fist and pump as if working up to give blood.  Then I had to hold my wrist up to the window so that the natural sunlight could help me determine whether they were green or blue.  I decided they were blue.  Blue veins makes me a sunrise, which is so not my time of the day.  


I went back and read through the paragraphs I had skipped.  It was mostly about enhancing my eyes to get me ready to handle award shows, but cutting through the goop I got that the colors that reflect off the sun at different times of the day will tell me which hues are most flattering.  Thus the sunrise, sunset, sunlight categories.  Using those colors will help me pick my wardrobe and make-up to best bring out my beauty on the red carpet.

Not being a fashionista, I believe that my best color is black (usually paired with some gold).  I own mostly a black wardrobe from the waist up.  I like black because it is slimming and because I think it is my best color.  Black, however, was not a color in any of the choices of the three categories.  Seriously?  Does this woman not own the little black dress that all women are told to buy?

Sunrise colors include shimmering jewel tones such as emerald, sapphire, aquamarine, and amethyst.  What am I?  A ring?  Oh, a gem, I suppose.  Hmmm...I thought about my wardrobe.  I don't really own anything shimmering or jewel toned.  Emerald?  That would be a shimmering green?  Nope.  Not in my closet.  Sapphire? Aquamarine?  My pool is aquamarine, but I don't own any clothing in that color.  I do, however, own some purple, or amethyst, as the experts call it.  Purple being another one of the colors I feel I look decent wearing.

The types of people who fall into this sunrise category are fair skinned, dark-haired brunettes, fair skinned silver haired women, fair skinned cool blondes, dark, blue black skin tones with dark hair, and olive skinned women with dark hair.  Okay, so the first one might be me, but does it count that my hair color comes from a bottle?  I looked at my wrist veins again.  They might be green which would make me a sunset.  Those colors sounded more like my closet, warm golds, russets, twilight blues.  Although the hot pink and red-violets they suggested definitely is not something I own now or ever will own. 

I wasn't really sure now about my hue, and so I moved to the conclusion of the article which were pictures of famous people who fit the three categories.  Was I an Amanda Seyfried, an America Ferrara, or a Helen Mirren?  These three fit my sunrise category.  Or was I a Reese Witherspoon or an Amy Adams who fell into the sunset category.  All very confusing. 

I studied the photos of the rich and famous, and decided I wasn't any of them.  I wasn't a sunrise or a sunset.  I didn't even understand sunlight so I couldn't be that.  I have decided I am midnight.  Those colors are black and gray, with a splash of different colors thrown in occasionally.  Those type of people are the ones who wish to remain in the background and off the red carpet.  Camera people perhaps?  I'm so relieved now to know my that my wardrobe is filled with the right hues, and that I can continue on in the color scheme I have started.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Love it! I'm a midnight as well! Great post!