Saturday, November 19, 2011

10 things about Regis Philbin leaving

  1. Yesterday was Regis Philbin's last day on Live, a show he began in New York in 1983.  I don't remember the first time I became a fan, it was long after Kathie Lee became his co-host, but I feel like I've been watching him forever.  He did Live for 28 years, and before that several shows in California.  He said he always wanted to make people feel better about themselves.  He always did that for me. 
  2. I thought he was a caring, loyal, and very funny man.  In so many ways I saw my father in him; his hands, the way he crossed his arms and leaned back against his chair, his humor, and his kindness.  I am going to miss having him on my television every morning.  
  3. That first 15 minutes of the show was the best of television hands down.  Regis always did it live and off the cuff.  I use to only record that segment when I couldn't watch the show live.
  4. I was upset when Kathie Lee left, but thrilled when Kelly Ripa got the job.  I watched All My Children back then, and I felt like a proud parent to see her move up in the television world and sit next to the King.  She's come a long way since those first days.  She did a fine job this week with him, guiding him, and keeping a protective hand on his arm.  Made me love her more.
  5. I always felt like Michael Gelman, Live's producer,  had a great relationship with Regis.  I think it changed some when Gelman got married and started his own life, but he did a fine job of sending Regis off.  Yesterday's beginning of Live with Regis walking his walk the way he has for 28 years, in black and white, live, was epic.  I sobbed the whole time.
  6. Joy, his wife, is going to go crazy.  I just can't imagine what Regis will do every day without his show.  I'm hoping that somewhere in the world of media there are still people who don't believe in shoving out the old to bring in the young, and that there is still a place for Regis.
  7. I loved Regis' loyalty to Notre Dame and its football program.  I'm sure we will never know jsut how much he has contributed through the years to the school, but I've always felt Notre Dame has been a big fan of his as well.  When I took the tour of Notre Dame he was mentioned by our tour guide, and I wondered if that was part of a guide's training.
  8. The fact that David Letterman, who never does talk shows, would come on Live tells me all I need to know.
  9.  My favorite Regis moments were his interactions with the public, whether it on the street or on the phone.  He is genuine. 
  10. As I get older, I realize that there isn't a place for the elderly in this society.  Everything is push, push, get them out so the next generation can show them how it is done.  I hope my kids learn that the elderly have a lot still left in them; wisdom and experience that can't be found in books.  Regis Philbin is one such elder, and I think morning television died yesterday a little bit with his leaving.  I wish him all the best!  Love you Reg!

No comments: