Sunday, November 13, 2011

Monday morning sports recap

It was a good Sunday of football for me with a Steelers win, a Ravens loss, and me back on the couch next to my Steelers buddy. Even thought the game was televised locally my buddy invited me over and his family and I got to catch up while watching the game. It was made even better by the Seattle Seahawks taking down the Ravens! Thanks Pete Carroll!

Steelers:
  • Defense - Working more each week on the mistakes from the past.  If we can just get Woodley back and keep the defense healthy, I have high hopes.
  • William Gay - I think he must have gotten quite a beating this past week from the coach, the staff, and the players.  He obviously took his mistakes from last week's game against the Ravens and turned them around.  He won the game yesterday for the Steelers with his interception in the last two minutes, but he made several key plays throughout the game as well.
  • Troy Polamalu - All over the field again.
  • Antonio Brown - He has taken over Hines Ward's position and boy, did he play it well yesterday.  Hines will be lucky to take a few snaps now.  Did I mention that I shook his hand and talked to him?
  • Big Ben - Played with a broken thumb?  Again.  He annoys me sometimes, but then he does something like that, and I think again how if he could just get his head in the game 90 percent of the time he will turn out to be one of the greats.
Others:
  • Penn State Saga - Okay, guess I have to start out with the Penn State saga. The whole thing is just sickening, but I think there is much more to the story. I think it is easy to say what one would do while sitting at home on the couch. I think that no one wanted to be involved so he passed the buck.  I want to know how many of the trustees were on board during the first "indiscretion". I want to know who thought it okay for this pedophile to have an office at the university after he was fired back in the late 90's, let alone allowing him to bring young boys on campus. Penn State and its employees dropped the ball all the away around, but firing Paterno? I think he was an easy, big name, fall guy to try to remove heat from those who really deserve it more. Sad situation all the way around for the victims, the university, the world of sports, and the fans.
  • TV Choices - So after the Giants couldn't come back in the last minute and the game ended the network chose to switch to the Bears/Lions game where the Bears were ahead by 34 points? Whose bright idea was that?
  • Dallas - Were the Cowboys ready to play football this week or what? They creamed the Bills 44-7 and Romo was on the roll the fans and organization have been expecting from him the last 5 years.
  • Bad Decisions -  The talk last night was about Atlanta Falcon's coach Mike Smith's decision to run on a 4th down in their own territory with the game tied in overtime instead of punting the ball.  His explanation was a fear of Saints quarterback Drew Brees marching his team down the field and winning the game.  Smith thought that if they got that first down they would be the marchers.  He would have been a hero if it had worked.  Trouble was that it didn't, the Saints got the ball, and won the game by kicking a field goal.  The weird thing about the decision, in my opinion, was that it didn't come with ten seconds left on the clock, but more then ten minutes left on the clock.  Smith's Falcons defense should have been given the opportunity to stop the Saints with that much time still on the clock.  I agree with Coach Dungy on that one.
  • Patriots- Did anyone really think they would lose three in a row?  Please.  I think Ryan knew as well...
  • Rex Ryan - I enjoyed his interview with Bob Costas last night.  I like him better when he isn't playing the part of the pudgy, full of himself, we-are-the-best and screw-you-world persona.  He was contrite, funny, and I learned a few things about him and his love for the game.
  • Hank Williams Jr. - Enjoyed his entrance on the CMA Awards on Wednesday night after Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood's little ditty.  Trust country music to address an issue with hilarity and heart while backing their own.  Football will never be the same, but maybe this will put ole Hank Jr. back in the spotlight once again.

No comments: