Wednesday, August 22, 2012

5 things this week so far


1. This is my view as Madison walks down the street to the bus stop. Some mornings Tom is walking back from his morning walk with the dog, and some mornings he walks with her to the bus stop. This morning my neighbor was up and returning from walking his dog, Tom was late so he was walking with Maddy, I was standing outside in the front yard, and poor Elliot couldn't decide where he was suppose to go with all these people in various areas. He stood in the street rotating his head from one person to the other as we moved. Once I was safely inside and my neighbor in his drive, he opted to follow Madison when she called.

2. My van is showing more than old age. In May it started stalling on me at various times when idle or coasting. My repair guys replaced some $500 part, told me the air was excellent, the vehicle good to go for another 75,000 miles. The van tootled along until I returned home from Indiana. The stalling began again and my air wasn't as cold. Repair guys said my compressor was shot and wanted $2600+ to replace. The van is 15 years old and has 153,000 miles in it so that didn't seem feasible nor did the diagnosis. I had a second opinion. Those guys replaced a $300 sensor, declared the air excellent, and sent me home on Friday. Monday the car stalled as I drove it to pick up Madison from school. Took it back to second opinion guys yesterday. They put it in the computer, drove it, and ran the air from 11:00 to 5:00 and found nothing wrong. I'm sure the diagnosis between repair guys and husband is crazy woman driver, but I don't feel safe anymore in my van. Going to have to quickly build readership on this blog to make a salary big enough to buy another car!

3. Darcy's school is growing and revamping and coming into the digital age. Yesterday she received her IPad for the year which will have her textbooks on it. Students will do assignments, etc. on the device and it comes home nightly with them. She is quite excited as she is has been the IPad member less family member here at home. Last night we all played around on our devices instead of watching television (or getting to bed early like we should have been doing). Some of the apps she had to download were interesting, and I added them to my IPad. One is a typing app that tests your ability and then teaches you to improve your skills. I learned tips in typing on this thing I had no knowledge of before...like tapping twice in the space bar for a period and a space. Who knows what all I learn this school year!

4. Hooked up with friends that I haven't seen in months and got caught up in their lives. Spent a few hours poolside yesterday (what else to do with no car) getting sun. Didn't do that all summer and of course ended up burned because I was so pale despite my teaching swim lessons.

5. I never watch pre-season football. I don't agree with it and rarely pay attention to it, but so far this year I've watched the Steelers in both their games. Made me realize why I don't watch it, but made me excited that football is just around the corner. Darcy starts practice next week for her football. I'm going to have to dig out the goods and decorate the outside of the house. Are you ready for some football?

No comments: