Thursday, August 09, 2012

South Bend Adventure #1 - Wakarusa Dime Store

My sis-in-law picked us up at the airport where I had to return our rental car.  She and my niece loaded us all up in her SUV and headed to a restaurant to eat because that is our MO when in South Bend.  On the way I began quizzing the group on what so far had been the favorite thing on this vacation.

Kelly:  "The intercom at the EFR."
Madison:  "The intercom at the EFR."
Darcy:  "The intercom at the EFR."
Me:  "The intercom at the EFR."

Susan:  "Well, Gabby, this should be an easy group to entertain as the bar isn't set as high as I thought it would be.  We got this!"

And they did.  We had quite a few adventures while visiting the Mason clan, first up the Wakarusa Dime Store.  This is a little local place that is like going back to the days of the ten cent stores (although the prices were not anywhere near those nor were they a dime).  The outside had a porch with rocking chairs for sitting and enjoying a refreshing bottled cola.  The inside had wooden floors, a  colored coordinated candy section, and the largest gummy worm ever in its own glass case.

Entering in the back

Largest gummy worm
 
 Color coordinated candy

Darcy was thrilled!  There were some interesting items that one never sees as well as candy from my youth.  Kelly and I wandered through the rooms telling stories of candy we had eaten back in the day while the three younger girls ignored us and gathered up goodies to buy. 

 Candy of my youth

 Interesting candy with my name on it

Kelly bought fudge, I bought a bag of gum balls, and Susan chatted with the kid behind the candy counter about working there.  She left with an application and no intention of applying.


We sat on the porch for awhile eating candy and then we headed back to our car doing the conga...


No comments: