Wednesday, August 08, 2012

From the travel journal - Days 7 - 10

Darcy's entry:

The next day we drove around Evansville and toured Mom's college UE.  Mom bought a shirt and Maddy and I a notebook and purple pen.  Then we took some pictures and toured more places and finally got into the car.



I tried to get them to take me to G.D. Ritzy's again, but they wouldn't budge.  Nobody was really hungry because we were in Donut Bank for 2 1/2 hours because they offered WIFI!  We were like crazed people who had everything but Wifi because we walked in with two IPads, three IPhones, and a laptop.  After all that time no one wanted to eat.

Later that day we hooked up with Kristen and we went to Hacienda.  We stayed there for a long time talking and drinking, and then we went back to Kristen's house where we hung out, talked some more, and enjoyed more wifi.



We eventually left there and went to Lic's Ice Cream where we got two pints of chococremes.  Mom got a delicious red raspberry sorbet drink and Kelly, Maddy, and I got ice cream cones.  We then went home and played cards and watched a VCR movie.

On Wednesday we got up and decided we would go caving the next day.  We then drove around Evansville again for a long time and then Mom took me to G.D. Ritzy's!  Then we went to the mall.  I bought a ring, a headband, and a bracelet, and Mom bought me a dress.  After that we went to the Canton Inn for Maddy, Mom, and Kelly's dinner.  I had G.D. Ritzy's!  Then we went home and played cards and unpacked our new belongings.

In the morning the EFR went on a caving expedition.  We had to leave at 9:30 AM.  We had a three hour drive that took forever and I quickly got car sick so I broke the no electronic rule and watched TV on the drive.

We finally arrived at the cave and we went into the store.  Mom and Kelly bought the tickets and sat on a bench and waited while Maddy and I went over to the rock bin where you fill a bag of rocks and pay for what you can jam into one bag that closes.  Maddy and I each filled a bag.  She got 25 in hers and I got 21 rocks in mine so I moved to the bigger bag.  I fit 101 rocks in that one.  I bought Savanna a ceramic alligator and myself some rock candy.  Then we went on this boat cave tour.


The tour guide was very good and had a sense of humor.  He was very big on rules and about gave me a heart attack when he told us to touch the roof and then fake yelled at us.  It sure scared the pee out of me.

After the cave tour we drove two hours back.  Kelly wanted to find a shirt so she and I went into Target (even after all the time she complained that Target doesn't have any clothes for her)while Madison and Mom went to Mayse to buy corn.

At Target I found Maddy's favorite shorts for 50% off so I texted her.  Then I found her favorite $17 shirt in different colors and designs for only $8 a piece.  So Maddy and Mom came back and they too bought some clothes.  I found a pair of $5 flats and bought them for myself.  Then we picked up a pizza at Pizza Oven and went home.

The next day we had to leave Evansville.  We cleaned, packed and left.  Now we are still on the road heading to Don's (Kelly's dad) house for dinner.  We have stocked up on lots of soda for South Bend.  I'm very excited to see Gabby tomorrow.  Now I'm just going to pass on the journal because my hand has now started to hurt!

Kelly's entry:

Cara has decided that she is bored, bored, bored with I-65.  She wanted me to say that ASAP.  Cara is thrilled that the speed limit is now up to 70 mph.  She is worried about what Connie will say about her not being able to find her grandparents' house in Corydon.  We did find Butt Drugs though, tee hee.


She would like Madison to massage her neck and shoulders, but Maddy is not responding.  Earlier she thought she was having a heart attack.  A few big gulps of Diet Coke and a belch seemed to help.  We are on our way to Dad's house in Columbus.  I am sad to leave the EFR.

 

Walked around the pond looking for Cuzzy's grave.  Didn't find it.  Did see lots of snake holes and lots of animal paw prints.  Also saw scattered at the edge some shells and shell fragments.  Looks to me like raccoons have been enjoying a little seafood.  Darcy and Cara confirmed my suspicions.  Apparently they are freshwater mussels.  

Walked the gravel road back to the house and smelled the forest.  It smelled terrific and looked gorgeous.  Took time to thank God for this little corner of creation.  I love looking at the woods and smelling it.  I will miss it.



We enjoyed ourselves with the intercom system, first pretending we were giving announcements to the guests and then using it like staff walkie-talkies to announce status of the house clean-up, ie...."Basement level clear and secure."  "Roger." or "Unclaimed property in master bedroom."  It was also fun playing pool with Maddy and Darcy.  They were pretty good competition.

Cara's entry:

I enjoyed the caving adventure, although we didn't go about it like we should have because of our limited knowledge of Indiana geography of that particular area and our lack of a printed map.  Kelly attempted to find a map of Indiana or an atlas at the EFR, but she struck out.  (No one really wanted to go through all the personal stuff in her dad's boxes, but we did look on the outside of them hoping for the word "Maps" to be on one of them)

The drive through the Hoosier National forest was beautiful once we got off the interstate.  Madison did most of the navigating on this trip due to Kelly's lack of knowledge (and interest) in Apple Technology.  "You people with your smart phones and your IPads can just maneuver your way around them without me."  We realized later that there was a quicker route to the cave, and we took that one home, but going there took longer than we had anticipated. 




So...I enjoyed the caving adventure, but thought it not worth the drive and time.  Had we toured another cave along with this cave it would have been better.  All to do again another trip.

I have been to all of the caves in southern Indiana except for the Blue Springs Cavern in Bedford.  The cave was discovered by the property owner after a huge storm when he came outside to find his pond had disappeared into a sink hole.  Upon further investigation he discovered the entrance to the cave.

We had to walk down a steep incline to the entrance, which the guide told us we would have to walk up again upon our return. (Not easy to do after all the eating we did in Evansville)  We went into the cave and got into a boat sitting back to back in two rows. The cave is only toured by boat as it has a river running through it.


 

The guide was funny and informative, although not so great at piloting as we hit the sides of the cave several times.  The water was very clear and icy with a few critters like crayfish scuttling along on the bottom.  The tour was over far too quickly, and really wasn't as exciting as Marengo or Wyandotte Caves, but it got us of the house and it was certainly refreshing with temperatures in the 50's.


On the way to the cave adventure we stopped off in Orleans, IN for some lunch.  I wanted to stop at some place that would cook me up some good old fashioned southern Indiana cooking (besides my Aunt Lorene's) so we stopped at the only restaurant in town.


I ordered sweet tea, but it came to me as sugar water and it didn't get any better after that.  I did have some tasty pole beans though.  Kelly and Maddy ordered BLT's and declared them tasty, but I wasn't too happy with my meal, and even unhappier when I discovered they didn't make their own pies.  Sigh.

The next day we cleaned the EFR, getting in our last gags on the intercom, before we headed to Columbus to have dinner and spend time with Kelly's father.  The dinner was delicious, and Don's homemade cherry pie was the best I've ever had.  He kept trying to push us to eat more and more and hacked off huge pieces of watermelon for us to enjoy.  We sat outside after dinner in the backyard as the weather had cooled some and there was a nice breeze.












Don was thrilled to see his daughter and happy that we had enjoyed our time at his forest retreat.  I'm glad we made the trip and was sorry that he didn't come down to Evansville for a couple of days as he would have fit right in playing cards and making announcements on the intercom.

 
The drive back to Indy was easy and fast as we chatted about our evening and I called Connie to keep her informed.  It was nice to get back to Ann's house as it is so homey and the lay out so big and spread out for all of us.  She had made cookies and an egg and bacon casserole for breakfast.  We sat at the kitchen table and chatted with her about our adventures while we demolished her cookies and then we all settled in for the night.  Tomorrow we are back on the road heading toward South Bend where we turn in our rental car and spend a week with the Mason family.

No comments: