Wednesday, August 01, 2012

From the travel journal - Day 4


Kelly's entry:

Today we left Indy to head toward Sullivan for the family reunion. On the way, we took the 231 State Rd. exit to visit the DePauw University campus. So much was new and yet so much was the same. My freshman dorm, Lucy Rowland, and Kathy's freshman dorm, Bishop Roberts, were still there. Looked at East College, the student union, Harrison hall, the library and other buildings. I took a picture of Dad's fraternity house - still standing - Phi Kappa Psi. Brought back some memories for me, but much of college is a blur. Fun to see!


Now we are in Terre Haute. We will stop to purchase some supplies before heading to the farm.

Cara's entry:

I enjoyed our small amount of time at Kelly's alma mater, DePauw University. I enjoy roaming campuses ever since my tour of Notre Dame last summer. I was really surprised at how big the campus was, very spread out, compared to my alma mater UE.  DePauw is a small school like UE, but it seemed so much bigger.  It was a very pretty campus, but very quiet.  Apparently not much happening here in the summer.  Kelly told us a few college stories as she pointed out buildings...most of the places seem to be areas where she vomited, which led me to wonder why she was sick all the time at school.


I hadn't known that Kelly's dad had also attended this university so that was cool news.  It looked like a place I would have enjoyed; small Indiana town, smaller university, but I don't think I would have been smart enough to have been accepted.  Of course, now I would be welcomed with open arms, but my 17 year old self?  No chance.  Although, had the athletic director seen my foot racing ability who knows what might have happened.



 From DePauw, which was only 8 miles off our beaten path, we went into Terre Haute to get supplies for the wiener roast. I contemplated touring Indiana State University since I haven't been there since dropping off my neighbor, Michelle, for her freshman year, but we were pressed for time so we bought our stuff and headed to my Aunt Lorene's house.  (Plus there was some whining from the back seat when I suggested another campus tour)


I wasn't sure that we would be having a bon fire because of Indiana's "no fire" ban, but when we arrived the fire was going strong. I mean it isn't like the fire marshal was out roaming the back country roads. My cousin said it had rained a bit earlier in the day (and we had had to use our windshield wipers two swipes on the drive down) so we had the fire.


My cousin Darrell had set up a badminton net and all the kids had to play, as did Kelly. It was great seeing everybody. There is nothing quite like family, and it was cool to see the next generation playing on the land and getting to know one another.


We stayed until 11:00 PM and then headed down to Lorene's for the night. We got to blow up the $40 mattress we had bought and hauled from Indy. Kelly took the guest room (or the "front room" as the family calls it). There was a portable toilet in the room from when Lorene was just out of the hospital so I moved it down to the foot of the bed to make room for Kelly's suitcase. We all settled in and began to start our taking of turns in the portable standing shower in Lorene's laundry room.

Aunt Lorene, meanwhile, was baking pies for the next day. She had already made her crust and was starting on the filling. Her son had told her not to cook and to go to bed, but he knew, as did the rest of us, that she would bake those pies. She is on oxygen 24/7 and walks with a wheeled walker which barely fits around her table in the kitchen, and knowing I wouldn't be much help to her, I sent in Madison as her assistance. Madison certainly got an eyeful and a lesson. They didn't finish until almost 1:00 in the morning.

Aunt Lorene now sleeps in the bedroom that leads to the bathroom. She told me it was easier to maneuver in the night. I told her I understood that as Kelly and I were up a couple of times in the night as well to use the bathroom. In all seriousness, Aunt Lorene told me not to worry about making the trip to the bathroom, but instead to use the toilet in the front room. For just a moment I wondered when she had built another bathroom, and as my brain pictured the front room, I realized she meant the portable toilet.

Lorene: "You girls can use that and we'll just empty it in the morning."

Kelly and I did not use the portable, but we got quite a few laughs over the thought of doing so. We meant to take a picture of one of us on it, but alas, we forgot.

That first night Aunt Lorene was also confused about who Kelly was I think. She referred to her when talking to the kids as "that other lady" and then called her "Kathy" when talking to me. She eventually got her name right, but I'm not sure she really understood the relationship. We called Kelly "the other lady" for a few days before it got tiring.

Kelly's entry:

After eating hot dogs, cookies, and s'mores at the reunion eve get together, Darcy and I tried to play volleyball. It was pitiful, but it was a bit of exercise. Darcy suggested we walk down a grassy path in the woods about a car-width wide. I was down this path the last time I was at the reunion some 20+ years ago. I was pretty sure it lead to another pond.

As we had in the 100 Acre, we grabbed big sticks and swirled them about and whacked at trees to knock down any spider webs that might be in our path.



We went further down the path to the pond that was only half full. We returned without a web on me, but with sweat on my brow.

No comments: