Tuesday, September 04, 2012

2012-2013 TV Season

September is here, which means the fall TV season is just around the corner, and I do like some TV watching. Last year I tried to watch all the new shows, and as always, the ones I really liked the most didn't all make it into this season. I'm more of a drama watcher than a comedy watcher, but I did discover two new comedies last year to go with my Modern Family and The Middle watching. I tried all the shows last year because I needed something to blog about and didn't want to miss out on really good shows like I have in the past (The Good Wife, Mad Men). I'm one of those people that refuse to jump into a new show after it has already run for a few seasons unless I can go back and catch up. Alas, that isn't as easy as it used to be.


This year we changed cable stations, so I don't have the On-Demand feature like I did last year that helped make sure I watched all the new shows. This season I've done some research and read several critics' take on the shows to better prepare my DVR and watching schedule so that I also do not miss my favorite returning shows. I doubt that I will get to view all 21 new shows, but I've created a list of the ones I will watch, along with my returning shows. N = New and R = Returning


Sunday:


  • 666 Park Avenue (N) - The premise sounds ridiculous, and anything with Terry O'Quinn is sure to be spooky, but it is one of the commercials that run 24/7 online when I watch abc.com to catch up on General Hospital and therefore is is stuck in my head.
  • Once Upon a Time (R) - A returning show from last season and one I found so creative. Most writing classes that I took throughout my life had us rewriting fairy tales, and this show does that, taking it to the next level. It's a good one to catch up on online if you missed it last year. ABC is one of the few shows that lets you do just that.
  • Revenge (R) - Another show that was new last year with good acting and interesting, mysterious plots. I'm not sure how they will continue it this season, but I'm on the edge of my seat waiting!
  • Football (R) - But of course! And the Steelers open the show this week!

Monday:


  • Revolution (N) - Not sure what the fascination is lately with the post-apocalypse, but again the commercials for this show have gotten in my head. I'm not much for sci-fi shows, that's my hubby's department, but it has J.J. Abrams's name behind it so everyone will watch.
  • Dancing with the Stars (R) - Yeah, yeah, whatever, I like it.
  • The Voice (R) - I only watch the first few days of this show, and I usually don't continue after the next round. I don't particularly care for the way the show works, but those first auditions? Priceless.
  • The Mob Doctor (N) - Hmmm...another doctor show that includes the mob? I already watch General Hospital, so why the hell not?

Tuesday:


  • Ben & Kate (N) - This one doesn't sound too great, but I'm a sucker for a brother being nice to his sister and wanting to help her out. Might as well turn to fiction to get that.
  • New Girl (R) - Love her. Love the characters.  Last season's ending? Just one of the best ever.
  • Go On (N) - Again, the commercials during the Olympics suckered me in, and the buzz is that it isn't bad. It comes on at a good time as I record the results of DWTS and need something to watch in the meantime.
  • Emily Owens, M.D. (N) - I'm watching this because it stars Meryl Streep's daughter, Mamie, and let's face it, if she has her mother's acting genes...
  • The New Normal (N) - I'm not sure I will watch this one, but I might give it a shot. I read the plots are pretty lacking, but the acting is better.
  • The Mindy Project (N) - I'm told this one has the best buzz, so it is on my list. Plus, I like it when the networks give shows to people outside the box. But seriously, it has got to be better for me than that Whitney thing last year.
  • Vegas (N) - I loved Pan Am and The Playboy Club last year, and neither one made it, so I'm not too hopeful for this in the past drama either, but I'll watch it because I like Dennis Quaid. Although, it better not remind me of the other Vegas show I loved with James Caan.

Wednesday:


  • Survivor (R) - Still my fav of all reality shows. Won't miss it.
  • The Middle (R) - If you are from Indiana, you gotta watch this show. Axel is my nephew, Austin, all the way...well, maybe not in the brain department.
  • Modern Family (R) - Best show on television, hands down. 
  • The Neighbors (N) - This one didn't get a good buzz, but I loved the line I see in the promos where the kids say, "Mom, I go to public school, I know weird." or something like that. Enough to get me to tune in for at least the first show.
  • Animal Practice (N) - Yeah, I already saw this one, and except for the monkey, I wasn't impressed.
  • Chicago Fire (N) - Sigh. I'm trying to go into this one with a good attitude, but I'm not sure that any show with firefighters can compare after Rescue Me.
  • Nashville (N) - This is the one that I'm most excited about as I adore Connie Britton and Country Music, so it's all good.


Thursday:


  • Person of Interest (R) - Taraji P. Henson! (inside joke) Another one of my favs shows from last season. I have yet to watch the season finale because of some technical glitch, but this show is exciting from beginning to end and very creative and different.
  • Up All Night (R) - Another comedy that got me hooked from last season. Hilarious! And the little girl? Adorable.
  • Last Resort (N) - Interesting plot, exotic Island, and I'll give it a go.
  • Glee (R) - S much fun with great storylines that will make you laugh and cry simultaneously.
  • Elementary (N) - I don't know about this one. Tom and I enjoy Sherlock on PBS, so not sure how this will compare, but I love mystery, so I'll give it a go.


Friday:


  • Grimm (R) - Although right now, it has already started and is on Monday nights. A very different show and I love the new direction it has taken so far, although not so much the intro.
  • Malibu Country (N) - The buzz isn't good on this one, and that is too bad because I enjoy reruns of Reba, and who doesn't love Lily Tomlin? As there isn't anything else on Friday nights, I'll give it a shot and hope that the writers get better.
  • Made in Jersey (N) - Another lawyer show, but what the heck not watching any now, so maybe this one will draw me in.


Other:

  • Smash (R) - This little gem from last season is a midseason replacement, so I have some time to wait on it, but my whole family enjoyed the behind the scenes of off-Broadway.
  • Body of Proof (R) - I can't believe they got rid of half the cast, but I like the show as it is simple and tidies up in an hour, so I'll be back. I just hope they can make it work for those of us upset over the loss of characters.

No comments: