Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday football picks and more - Week #4

Last week - 9 - 7
Overall - 25 - 23

No Steelers this week.  I've been assured by Lamar Woodley that they are working hard, but I have my doubts about how well they will do this year.  James Harrison has told me that he is back to practicing and I read that Troy is back as well.  Whoop-de-do.  All that matters is they are back on the field come Oct. 9th.  Add in Mendenhall that day and I expect a huge win.


Atlanta over Carolina - The Panthers are still finding their way while the Braves know where they are going.  If they don't think too much of themselves they will win at home.

New England over Buffalo - Tom Brady will pull his team up by their bootstraps and get them into the end zone.  Buffalo will give them a good game I think, but two losses is weighing heavily on the Patriots.

Detroit over Minnesota - The Vikings are showing they aren't a team to ignore, but the Lions are at home and coming off a stupid loss.  I think they will run over the Vikings.

San Diego at Kansas City - Okay, the Chiefs pulled out a winner last week.  Ryan Lilja looks to be replacing injured center Rodney Hudson since the Chiefs placed him on injured reserve, but the Chargers are one of those teams that always play hard after a loss.  They are traveling to Kansas City so I might be wrong about this one, but I'm giving Rivers the win.  But I could be wrong.  This is one of those iffy picks.

Seattle over St. Louis - Yes, the Seahawks won last week with the help of the refs, but they shut down the Packers O-line like pros, sacking Aaron Rogers left and right.  I liked what I saw from them, and I love their glow in the dark uniforms, so I'm going with Seattle and crazy coach Pete Carroll.

San Francisco over the Jets - Not even worried about this game.  The 49er's will romp and show why they are the team everyone was talking about last week.

Houston over Tennessee - Yes, the Titans are feeling great after their pull out win last week, but Houston is going to be the team the Ravens have to beat on their way to the Bowl. And they are working for a bye and home field advantage, and they just beat Peyton Manning, so I'm going with the Texans.

Denver over Oakland - Speaking of Peyton....he will demolish the Raiders who won last week because the Steelers handed it to them on a silver platter.  Not too impressed with the Raiders defense and not really that much with the offense despite their numbers last week.  Manning gets the win at home.

Arizona over Miami - Still liking the Cardinals for the NFC playoff run and don't think Miami is going to stop them from going 4-0.

Cincinnati over Jacksonville - Not too familair with the Jaguars other than what I heard about them this upcoming season and it was enough that I think the Bengals will beat them on the road.

Green Bay over New Orleans - Can you imagine a team that will be more fired up and ready to win then the Packers who got robbed on Monday night?  I don't see Rogers and company being down in the dumps like the Saints have been after their fines and sanctions.  I see the Packers coming out at Lambeau Field and kicking ass.

Washington over Tampa Bay - Oh, Tampa Bay, how I thought you would play better.  I liked what I saw on the first play of the game last week when the Buccaneers intercepted Tony Romo on his first pass of the game and then actually turned that turnover into a touchdown, but alas, it went downhill from there.  Now they are going up against RGIII and I don't hold out much hope for them.  They might do it...stranger things have happened with this team, but my money is on the Redskins and their new quarterback.

New York Giants over Philadelphia - This is the one that could go either way like the Chargers game.  Will the Giants nonchalantly give it away?  Will Michael Vick go gunslinger on the defense?  I'm going with the Giants because they have a Manning and I believe in the Manning boys.

Chicago over Dallas - Whooo...another that could go either way...and on MNF to boot.  Both teams have nutty quarterbacks that either come out and play or come out and get sacked multiple times.  Jay Cutler whines a lot, but the man can play ball when he wants to.  Tony Romo looks down trodden and beaten most of the time, but the man can play ball when he wants to.  I just think Da Bears have the better defense and thus Romo will spend more time on the ground then Cutler.

Replacement Refs - are no more after the owners and the referee union came to an agreement Thursday on contract negotiations.  Too late to help those teams who lost games due to poor officiating, but maybe in time to salvage the NFL's reputation.

Fines levied against coaches - $130,000 was collected by the NFL for fines laid on NFL coaches Patriots Bill Belichick, Redskins Kyle Shanahan, and Bronchos John Fox and Jack Del Rio for their inappropriate attitude and conduct with the replacement refs.  Hmmm.  While I respect the NFL for letting coaches and players know that there are rules regarding their refs I also expect the NFL to fine themselves for causing the last three week debacle of illegal calls, poor judgement calls, and missed calls that actually gave wins and losses to the wrong teams.  Something tells me that won't happen though.

Tampa Bay Rays - And here come the boys of September.  Just when you think they are done for the season they come out with smokin' hot bats and a desire to win.  These guys and coaches should visit the other pro sports teams and give pep talks.










No comments: